question

Ivar Eisma avatar image
Ivar Eisma asked

Globallink 520 settings through VE-direct

Hi, my setup is a globallink 520, 100/20 mppt, smart shunt. and a 12/500 inverter. The inverter will be hooked up to the globallink with Ve-direct cable as it doesn't have bluetooth. I need to change the settings (eco mode minimum voltage) on the inverter.

Problem:

The inverter is in Norway in my cabin, the rest is at home in Amsterdam as I'm wiring this on a nice panel in my workshop. So I cannot really test if I need a bluetooth dongle, or if this can be done through VE- direct. This stuff is really hard to find and twice the price in Norway, so I would prefer to bring everthing I need next time I'm there. Manual is not clear on this, searched all over for this info.

So I'm not sure if a dongle is needed or if I can do it trough ve-direct with the globallink or mppt's bluetooth.

Phoenix InvertergloballinkVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi,

Nice project!

Setting up the inverter can be done using. VE.Direct USB cable as well as with a VE.Direct bluetooth dongle. I’d get a VE.Direct to USB cable if I were you, lowest cost.

And once done, remove that cable and connect the inverter to the globallink.

The other option is to get yourself a Cerbo GX, then you can also remotely change settings; monitor things in more detail. But, for simple normal monitoring, GlobalLink is sufficient.

Best regards,

Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ivar Eisma avatar image
Ivar Eisma answered ·

Alright, I will get the usb cable then. The Globallink is perfect for me as I don't have fixed internet but we do have 4G reception. I just want to keep an eye on the battery SOC and temperatures when I'm not there.

Thanks for the quick reply!

2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

Double check your inverter type is compatible with the GL520. Not all are. See manual. I believe your type is compatible but with a ve.direct cable only, ie: not via a Bluetooth dongle.

2 |3000

Ivar Eisma avatar image
Ivar Eisma answered ·

Thanks, indeed it's a cable install for the inverter. I've almost finished up the wiring and am ready to take this up to the cabin next week. Tried to make it as neat and strong as possible. Some stuff I don't like: the MPPT has 6mm2 connectors but my ferrules didn't fit that tight. So I 3d printed a bracket that holds the wires in more strongly. Same with the solar breaker. The 12v small fusebox will be replaced. It's from Blue Sea and was not cheap, but I think it's not well made at all.

Feel free to critique this install, as it's much easier to change it now than on the mountain. 20230518-123939.jpg

20230518-123922.jpg

20230518-123935.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic