question

conradzik avatar image
conradzik asked

ve.Bus BMS v2 cell under voltage issues

Hi Everyone!

I recently switched out my ve.Bus BMS v1 to a v2 to gain the ability to change the Multiplus' mode via Cerbo.

After a few other minor changes to my system, I decided to test things out by running a small heater (1200W) off the Multiplus 12/3000/120 and connecting/disconnecting shore power. The Multiplus inverts/passthru's to the heater no problem on shore power.

When I disconnect shore, within ten seconds the "Cell>2.8V" light on the BMS v2 dims, the Battery protect loads and Multiplus are disconnected, then the light goes back to its normal state.

Video of BMS v2 light: https://share.icloud.com/photos/083ehnez2dHPMvxTfppoV9YuQ

Smaller loads operate fine when inverting. The 2nd largest load I put on it was an Ecoflow AC pulling around 400W.

I switched back to my BMS v1 and it seems to be operating fine without issue at any load. Battery voltage at the Shunt and metered at my Multiplus are normal.

I also tried powering my Cerbo directly off the BMS v2's GX-Power port hoping it would stay powered long enough to give an alert or anything useful to troubleshoot, but it powered off at the same time the rest of the loads did.

My batteries are two 90Ah non-smart LiPo4 Victron batteries.

All firmwares are up to date.

Any suggestions?

Before trying another BMS v2 do you think its worth rebalancing the cells? Both batteries have been wired in parallel for a few years. This is the guide I would use: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Lithium_Battery_Smart/en/troubleshooting-support-and-warranty.html#UUID-0f0024ba-601b-5aa2-67b4-e2ca8d7c7b45

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BMSmultiplus ve.busVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

You wrote ...
My batteries are two 90Ah non-smart LiPo4 Victron batteries.

Are you saying ... You do not have a Smart Battery Bank?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@mvas the original batteries did not have bluetooth.

old-lithium.png

0 Likes 0 ·
old-lithium.png (210.8 KiB)
conradzik avatar image conradzik commented ·
Yup. No Bluetooth.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is VE.Bus?