question

giuliocanale avatar image
giuliocanale asked

Lithium 160Ah - Battery Voltage versus Depth of Discharge

I have a new 160Ah smart lithium battery and it's my first lithium battery installed on my boat. I'd like to know if somebody has the correspondence between the battery voltage and the depth of discharge in order to check if my smartshunt is working well.

In the manual I have seen the attached graph: is it possible to have detailed values?

Graph.png

Many thanks and best regards.

Giulio

Lithium BatterySOCvoltagedischarge level
graph.png (166.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@Giuliocanale ...Lithium batteries have very stable terminal voltage from fully charged to discharged. if you are using a smartshunt, please don't concentrate on terminal voltage but more state of charge. Yes it is interesting to look at terminal voltage but unless the battery is at the end of its life, the terminal voltage will remain remarkably (compared to AGM or Lead acid) steady. If your smartshunt is set to 160Ah, it will work out the state of charge based on the amount of current flowing into and out of the battery. It will advise how much capacity has been used and how much is left and the "time to go" meaning how long you can continue to discharge at the present rate.

The graph you have is per cell. If you really want to you can work out what the voltage is for your battery by multiplying the voltages by 4 to give you the terminal voltage for your battery (assuming it is a 12 volt battery) for the corresponding SOC.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@Giuliocanale

The shunts are accurate, but must be set up correctly.

Due to the physics involved, values can drift and it's important that both shunt sees a 100% battery charge regularly. This is no hardship, the battery needs it as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
giuliocanale avatar image giuliocanale commented ·

Dear Trevor,

thank you very much for your reply! I have understood that the voltage are very stable in 90-20 of SOC. Check the voltage was a way to have a second parameter to check the battery state. I can use the graph in the manual, but the values are not so clear!

Thank you.

Giulio

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic