question

Darlene avatar image
Darlene asked

Why are my batteries making bubbling noises while in absorption charge state?

Suddenly our agm batteries (2 rows of 4, set up as a 48volt system, each batt.135ah) are making the dreaded bubbling noise while absorption charging. They are only a couple of weeks old, and barely used. They replaced similar batteries, but these ones are dual purpose, i.e. could be used for starting a vehicle ase well as for deep cycle purposes. We hadn't changed any settings on the 150/60 Blue Solar mppt, but it was the first time I ever heard the bubbling. We reduced absorption voltage to 56v, and float to 54v during the bubbling, and it stopped, but then we used a hot plate, and charging changed to bulk, and when it went back to absorption the same bubbling noises started, so I further reduced the voltages, with float now at 53v and absorption at 54.5v. Once again, the bubbling stopped, but who knows what will happen next time a load is applied and it goes to bulk, then absorption, and possibly triggers the bubbling before float kicks in. The highest current we observed during all this was 8 amps, and towards the end, before I intervened with voltage reductions, 3 amps. I thought bubbling would only occur at high charge voltage/amperage. I also read somewhere that something called sulfation can occur if charge voltage is not high enough. What could go wrong with the lower voltages I've now set? It's like choosing how to die: lose the batteries through cooking away the electrolyte, or lose them through sulfation. Documentation the manufacturer provided indicates that the original higher values the mppt was using would be fine, so I don't understand why this problem has suddenly arisen. Can anyone help, please?

battery chargingAGM Batterymppt state
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Did you balance the batteries before connecting them in series? Check the voltage at each individual battery with a vom I bet you are out of balance so when you are charging you are pushing one or more batteries over the absorption limit. Get this figured out quick or you will ruin the AGM's.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Darlene avatar image Darlene commented ·
No, we didn't. We are waiting on a balancer to arrive. Thanks for the quick response.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If the bubbling is minor, nothing to worry about, the gas will be reabsorbed. If heavy, follow @derrick thomas advice.

1 comment
2 |3000

I don't have any comparison to say how severe or minor the noise is. I heard it as soon as I entered the room, but the room is absolutely quiet, and I have acute hearing. I think it's best to take it seriously and balance the batteries. Thanks for the quick response.
0 Likes 0 ·
astrayan avatar image
astrayan answered ·

It's normal to bubble after an overnight discharge, because some of the cells are less efficient, so need more charge, and there is no battery management in lead acid, to voltage-level each of the 24 cells. The bubbling will tend to come from higher voltage cells. This can move around, as well, as cells take turns at being the ones that get overcharged. No matter how low you try to put the absorption voltage, if you measured each cell, some would be very high. The higher the AGM voltage is (12V, 24V, 48V), the more uneven the charge will be.

With sealed cells, it's not spectacularly important to get them fully charged each cycle. I think both gel cells and AGM will give you more cycle life if they are cycled around 50-90%, then equalized properly every couple of weeks. The damage is done when you try to charge them fully, because the escaping hydrogen leaves oxygen around, and also dries out the cell. But having said that, "How do you undercharge a lead acid cell?" You can't really, because they will always charge fully if the voltage is above about 13.4V (temp dependent). They just do it really slowly. No MPPT is ever going to help you undercharge a sealed cell, because they are geared to the requirements of flooded cells, which require copious over-charging to fizz up the electrolyte.

All you can do is measure the voltage over each 12V segment and look for any deviance. Personally I would not use AGM, but if you need a compact battery for RV, then your choices are limited.

Severe sulfation is typically caused by running the battery flat and leaving it. The sulfation gets bigger crystals and cant be removed. Some sulfation always happens on each cycle, but is removed as the battery charges. As to whether anything causes reduced battery life - everything causes reduced battery life in a lead acid. Heat is the worst thing. Overcharging is maybe the next worst. But it's a whole montage of worseness. People will tell you you shouldn't do something to a lead acid, but most of it is subjective, except deep discharges, and leaving it flat.

2 comments
2 |3000

I appreciate the detailed response. It's true that there is variation in the voltages between individual batteries, and we measure them to keep a record of what is going on. The difference between highest and lowest is usually 0.5v. I noticed while reducing absorption and float voltages that there is a manual and an automatic balancing option on the app. I understand that around 60v would go through the battery pack, which would probably cause some serious fizzing and is probably not the right thing for agm batteries. We are waiting for a battery balancer to arrive by post. Do you know if this item applies the same high voltage method to equal out the voltages, or does it use a less severe method?

Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
astrayan avatar image astrayan Darlene commented ·

If I designed a battery balancer, it would bypass high voltage batteries a bit, and make sure they were all the same voltage as they charged.

https://eepower.com/new-industry-products/balance-up-to-four-12v-lead-acid-batteries-in-series/#

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual