question

mr-t avatar image
mr-t asked

Charging AGM and lead acid battery simultaneous with Victron Centaur 12/60

I recently bought a preowned boat and i noticed that the charger Centaur charger is connected to AGM consumer battery bank and also the lead acid start battery. Jumper setiting on charger is set to AGM.

Can the AGM charge mode damage the lead acid battery in any way? I just had to replace the start battery (4 years old) as it would not recieve chargning any more and i am wondering if the charger can have anything to do with the short life span.

battery chargingAGM Batterylead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

Nope, only the other way around could be a problem. AGMS should not be charged higher than 14.4v at 72 degrees F. As it gets hotter that voltage should drop and as it gets colder it increases. A lead Acid battery should get to 14.8 or more for absorption.

It could have lead to the start battery's death if the voltage never got high enough. If it only gets to 13.5 or 14v, it could degrade it over time. I doubt it though honestly... 4 years fo a start battery is not bad, all it might take is a week or two at low voltage or under charged state for a state battery to get killed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic