question

thees-thiel avatar image
thees-thiel asked

orion dc dc converter as emergency charger possible?

Hello,

i am running a victron system with

3 Quattro II

3x 200ah lipo and bms for 24V / 240V power supply at my boat.

2 engines with extra starter battery separately. 2 alternateurs 24 V existing.

Now I want to use 2 Orion 24 24 20 (I already have them) for an emergeny backup reload of the victrons in case of low soc or failure of my Quattros.

The orions are already connected to the enginges but how to connext smart to the lipos?

Appreciate any feedback!

Best Thees

battery chargingorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Thees Thiel

I don't think there's any onboard 'Smarts' you can use to do it directly.

I do this with the Orion's Remote On-off terminals using Assistants in a Multiplus. I switch using both battery V and SOC. You'd need to run a signal wire pair between a Quattro and the Orions, and I also added in a manual switch to that circuit for real emergencies.

With the bms having no say directly, just be careful setting your Orion's charge V's

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thees-thiel avatar image
thees-thiel answered ·

Hi John!

thx, will try accordingly. Which assistand did You use?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Thees Thiel

I use Programmable Relay Asst, but multiples of, as these are just simple commands. Like you use one to switch on, and another to switch off. I switch K1 relay, 'because it's there'. You could also look at the Generator Asst, that has the parameters you need in an all-in-one asst.

If your bms provides SOC to your system, make sure that the Quattro's own SOC is disabled.

0 Likes 0 ·