question

cguilbert avatar image
cguilbert asked

Orion-Tr 12/24-Volt 5 amp 120-Watt DC-DC Converter output to feed a 24V solar MPPT controller.

Can I use the 12/24-Volt DC-DC Converter output (24V) to feed to feed the MPPT controller input ( solar panel input) ? Here is my problem , I would like to recharge a 100A auxiliary Bat in my car using the 12V socket. A fridge is connected to the secondary bat . When the fridge kick in, the current draw between both batteries (via the 12v socket) is too much (> 20V) and melt the socket. I don't really fully understand it but roughly , when the fridge kick in, the Voltage of the Aux bat drop and too much current goes to the 12v socket. All the current limitators I could test just blowed. I need to find an elegante solution. Right now I am running a small inverter (in the 12v socket) to power a 120V/3A battery charger which charge the Aux battery. It works but I don't want to run a power inverter. The Aux battery has a built-in solar controller. I would like to use the Orion-Tr 12/24-Volt 5 amp from my 12v socket to convert 12V (Orion-TR 12V input) -> 24V (Orion-TR output) feeding the input of MPPT controller (basically replacing the solar panel). This model is putting 5amps as the output but the doc does not say how much current it is drawing on the input side. Remember my problem is at the 12V socket level which melt (on my Subaru) when I use too much current (when the fridge kick in).

Any thought ?

Thanks for any help.

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The Orion will do the job, but may not be enough for your fridge. Input current will be slightly more than twice the output current.

But much better to connect the Orion direct to the battery with suitable cables and not use the lighter socket.

Also connect the Orion output directly to the battery. Not the charge controller. But check the battery documentation. I'm not sure why you want to feed into the solar input

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.