question

bodizzy avatar image
bodizzy asked

Lynx Distributor - Diagram Confirmation Please!

I have an existing system that I am trying to upgrade/correct. Our original van installer undersized everything and we've been dealing with some issues. The upgrade includes adding appropriate fuses, adding a bus bar (Lynx), swapping an isolator for a DC to DC charger, and upgrading from AGM to Lithium batteries. I already have a Renogy 3000W inverter and a Renogy Wanderer 30A Solar Charger.

Can anyone provide feedback on my wiring diagram to confirm that I'm connecting things correctly? Or, provide insight into what needs to be changed?

Note: I did not add all necessary fuses/disconnects to the diagram. I plan to have a 300A fuse and disconnect between the battery and the Lynx Distributor. In addition, we'll have (1) 125A fuse for 6AWG wire to DC to DC charger, (2) 200A fuses to 2AWG wire to house loads and solar wanderer, and (1) 300A fuse to 4/0 wire to inverter within the Lynx. We will also have a Victron Smart shunt connected between the battery negative and the Lynx.

Victron Diagram.pdf

fusesHelpwiring diagramlynx distributorsetup
victron-diagram.pdf (95.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahtrimble avatar image ahtrimble commented ·

Seriously consider using this tool:

https://www.explorist.life/wire-sizing-calculator/

0 Likes 0 ·
bodizzy avatar image bodizzy ahtrimble commented ·
yup, I've used that tool. But, seems a tad undersized based on manufacturer's recommendations. (i.e. manufacturer recommends 4/0 between batteries but the calculator says 2/0 is fine)
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks as if your battery is too small. Not many 100Ah batteries will deliver enough current for a 3000W inverter.

I've no idea about US wire guages.

Fuse size is too big for the Orion.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bodizzy avatar image bodizzy commented ·
The batteries are (3) 100aH in parallel, which can support the 3000W inverter. (100A x 3 when connected in parallel).

What fuse would you recommend for the Orion? The 125A fuse would be to protect the wire, not the DC to DC would it?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bodizzy commented ·
You don't say which Orion. Size the fuse for the max current plus headroom, bearing in mind that as you say it's to protect the wire.. From memory they don't go over 30A. So 35 A for the bigger ones.
0 Likes 0 ·
bodizzy avatar image bodizzy kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

(1)125A mega fuse for 6AWG wire to DC to DC charger. The charger is 12/12/30A. The Lynx is only compatible with Mega fuses and they start at 60A or 100A if I remember correctly. The chart from Blue Sea shows a 125A mega fuse is fine for 6AWG wire.1681069399837.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1681069399837.png (744.5 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bodizzy commented ·

Yes, I have the same thing. Mega fuses too big. I'll be going from Lynx to a fused distribution unit with blade fuses for each circuit. Or you can use an inline midi.

The decision is, are you going to accept a high drain if there's a problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
bodizzy avatar image bodizzy kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Can you explain what you mean by high drain if there's a problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
rikhf avatar image
rikhf answered ·

How do you fuse the battery?

1 comment
2 |3000

bodizzy avatar image bodizzy commented ·
Good question. I was planning to have a disconnect switch and a 300A fuse between the battery and the Lynx--forgot to add that detail to the diagram I uploaded. Will also have a 60A fuse on the van battery after the DC to DC charger, per manufacturer.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources