question

Alain Ross avatar image
Alain Ross asked

Thanks MPPT relay for helping me resolve battery hydrogen issue !!

Hello Victron community, just wanna share an experience that can be solved with Victron feature when charging your Lead-Acid battery bank produce Hydrogen. So, to begin, when I start my solar project I make the decision to have my battery in a isolated box with 2 outside vent in my cabin closet. Find it more convenient for maintenance & less exposure to cold temperature we encounter in my area. What happen is as far I try to airtight my cover box with rubber gasket, they still have Hydrogen leak in charging process that result to make my carbon monoxyde detector false reading & crazy beeping alert. The two outside air vent wasn't enough for gas evacuation. So after consultation with a good friend, we decide to use the MPPT open relay option to wire a computer fan in my upper box air vent. Bingo !!, I program the relay with the high voltage option, so everytime I'm charging, the Fan turn on escaping hydrogen out & giving a little chill to battery on warmer day in the same time. If this experience share can help someone here, Will be happy to hear it,, & thanks again Victron to offer so much possibility in your system that sometime result in safety & security purpose !!

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingRelaylead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mark-a avatar image
mark-a answered ·

Nice solution :-). Yet when your batteries are gassing it means, you are damaging them by overvoltage and reducing battery life. That's likely the absorption phase and why I developed a solution to avoid that while keeping the average SoC even higher.

I use my batteries in pairs, one connected to the loads the other one on standby being charged to float voltage (13.8 V in general, adjusted for temperature). The active battery also is charged to float voltage (I set absorption voltage= float voltage on the MPPT) and gets a full charge on an average,at least partially sunny day but when its SoC gets low because there are a couple of cloudy days or I have used an exceptionally high amount of power I swap the active and standby batteries. This kept my first gel batteries alive for more than six years now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources