question

remibggx avatar image
remibggx asked

Orion Tr Smart 12/12 30A non isolated suddenly charging low

Hi Everyone,

Until recently, I was charing while driving roughly between 18A and 27A, therefore quite ok. I know it's not 30A, but apparently nothing alarming from what I read here and there.

I had one night of very cold weather - -20°C - in Norway and in the morrning, the battery dropped to 4° (therefore could not be charged at that temperature) and a warning that one cell dropped below the recommended voltage or something like that.

I obviously immediately turned on the engine to charge the battery, which temperature increased to 5° and therefore could be charged.

The battery charged well up to 100% that day and even was rebalanced, therefore I did not worry. However, since then, the battery is only charging between 5A and 10A which is really low and worries me a little. It seems that the Orion Tr Smart 12/12 30A does not draw sufficient current. I am not so sure why would that be, and why would it change from a week ago since I did not touch anything.

Would anyone have faced the same issue, or would know what might have happened here and what should I do?

I have the following items installed in my RV:

• Victron Smart Battery LifPo4 160Ah
  • Victron Orion TR Smart 12/12 30A non isolated
  • Victron BMV 712
  • Victron Battery Protect 65A
  • Victron Cyrix-Li Charger
  • Converter 600W Gianel (other than Victron)
battery chargingorion dc-dc
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Remibggx What BMS are you using?
0 Likes 0 ·
remibggx avatar image remibggx klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Hi, this is the VE.BUS. BMS from Victron (kind of small black box with connections on the front of the device).
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ remibggx commented ·

@Remibggx

cyrix-charge.png

I think this is how your system is setup? SBP instead of the multiplus?

Any BMS leds lit?

Any messages from the battery via Victron Connect?

Disconnect 1 BMS cable from the battery, does this stop charge and discharge? Reconnect cable!

Time to break out your multimeter.

First measure the voltage of the ATC terminal of the BMS, it should be around 12v or so.

Next measure the voltage in and out of the Orion.

Next measure the voltage in and out of the Cyrix Li charge.

Next measure the voltage in and out of the fuse / breaker between the Cyrix and Li battery.

Report back.

0 Likes 0 ·
cyrix-charge.png (152.0 KiB)
0 Answers