question

ronbeton avatar image
ronbeton asked

P1 to RS485 converter instead of ET340

I have a smart grid meter with DSMR v5 so it transmit a p1 telegram every second. I'd like to use this data as grid meter in ESS. In my understanding this is even more accurate then an ET340 which has a refresh rate of 2 seconds.

I'm thinking of the following solution:

• I found a p1 to RS485 converter P1MB - P1 to Modbus converter | Xemex
  • After converting I could use the Victron Zigbee <-> RS485 bridge to transmit over the air
  • Connect the other end of the Zigbee bridge to my Cerbo.

What do you guys think? Is this feasible?

Energy Meterrs485
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rns avatar image rns commented ·

Hi,

I'm looking for a similar solution. (see my question : https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/203592/p1-port-as-energy-meter-for-multiplus.html)

Did you make progress in this ?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
pyrorider avatar image
pyrorider answered ·

I guess you need to use VenusOS on a PI and configure the drivers for your meter as the mapping of the rs485 registers probably is not similar to the one of the ET340 or the ABB B23

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rns avatar image rns commented ·
can you help me to finde the drivers. My digital energy meter is installed a few days ago.

I can read al the values with an esp8266 so the P1 port is active. Would be nice to feed this info directly to the victron multiplus II

Now i stear the multiplus via home assistant to compensate on fase1 for fase2 or 3 but the multiplus could do that on his own if he could get the data.

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 rns commented ·

This might be a start if you know python.

dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter/dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter.py at main · fabian-lauer/dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter · GitHub

Can tweak this driver to receive the data from your meter rather than from shelly energy meter. Essentially change the function getShellyData to a function that'll receive data from your meter. And then tidy up/remove other shelly specific functions but this would be a good guide if a driver for your specific meter doesnt exist.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Energy Meter Selection Guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic