question

ers avatar image
ers asked

vedirect changing settings of the mppt device

i can see on dbus there are settings for mppt solar chargers like status where i can remotely turn on and off by setting this value but i couldn't find the settings for other parameters that can be set from the victronconnect app. is there any documentation or hint where to look ? an example is how can i change max charge current or absortion voltage ?

MPPT ControllersVRMVenus OSRaspberry PiMQTT
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hardy-tuner avatar image hardy-tuner commented ·

U can change ve.direct devices via victron connect with „vrm“ instead of „local“ in the app.

0 Likes 0 ·
ers avatar image ers hardy-tuner commented ·

question is about dbus / vedirect and setting values over dbus

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @ers

For the settings communication between VictronConnect and the product we have the so called vreglink dbus interface. This interface is descibed here https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus-api under the paragraph "The VregLink Interface".

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ers avatar image ers commented ·
thanks I can read and write vregs via dbus now.

one more question I assume vrm devices part of the victron connect app talks to vregs here too but which service/package is used for victron connect vrm control ? I used victron packages indiviually not on venus os itself therefore I can reach vrm and send data but how can I enable two way communication so that I can see vrm devices on victron connect app under vrm section ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @ers

For the communication through VRM between VictronConnect and a venus device, there are 2 services running on the venus device. The first is dbus-mqtt (https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-mqtt) and the second is mqtt-rpc.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
ers avatar image ers Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

thank you so much, i setup the dbusmqqt and was able to see data locally over it, i even pulled the name of the remote victron mqtt server for my client from rest api and connected to that one too but still couldn't see devices in the vrm section of the victron connect app. I assume it is related to mqqt-rpc you mentioned but couldn't find a related package at : https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/packages/raspbian-buster/dists/buster/main/binary-armhf/Packages . is it something available only in venus os ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @ers

mqtt-rpc is indeed only available in Venus OS, so I cannot help you any further with that.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
ers avatar image ers Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
thanks any plans to make it available as a package in the future like you did with other packages?
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @ers,

Nothing is certain, but probably not.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·