question

wayne-richardson avatar image
wayne-richardson asked

Unbalanced generator input

I have a Stephill Generator which worked well on one single 15k Quattro with a second Quattro with the system set up as a twin phase system, I upgraded the batteries from 16 BYD batteries to 32 which worked well with a stable single phase input from my generator.

I added an additional 15k Quattro taking it up to 3 so that I can have 3 phase electric, the generator is controlled as normal but even though I’ve set up the system as normal my system draws more current from my generator than I’ve set up in the config, it also does not take a ballenced load from each phase from the generator, this in turn causes a frequency drop the system backs off then the frequency comes back into limits and the whole cycle starts again.

I’ve set my current limit to 12 amps, I’ve tried using the dynamic current limit function and this does not work as I suggest I’ll get significant over shoots in input current and corresponding drops in Hz.

Any suggestions of how to pull a steady current and get a stable Hz out put would be very much appreciated as I can connect to my house for fear of killing my electrical items as the lowest Hz I’ve seen is 46 Hz

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingGeneratorfrequency
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexyates avatar image alexyates commented ·

If you have all the loads switched off leaving the quattros, only to charge the batteries from the generator do you produce the same result or does it sit at 12amps?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Wayne,

Can you please confirm you have read this manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

Including the attached presentations about wiring large systems, and that you have wired the system with balanced and even length AC wiring inputs and outputs from the units?

That can be tricky to do if you are not building the system in one go.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexyates avatar image
alexyates answered ·

I actually just read another post with a similar type of fault where the load was unbalanced in a 3phase system and they fixed in by ensuring firmware was upgraded and the same. It would seem like a good place to start to make sure all your quattros have current firmware?

2 |3000