question

Robert Hunter avatar image
Robert Hunter asked

Solar Wattage so low.

I have a 305w solar panel connected to victron 100/20 to two 12v 100ah batteries.

On day 1 and 2 of all powered up I was getting 100-180wat showing on the victron connect app and can see batteries charging. Today on a very hot sunny day the app is only showing solar panels at 22-35w which cannot be right. All wiring and breakers are ok, and it appears im still charging the batteries as I can see 13.8v showing.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Talisman. It's likely your batts are fully charged (& in Float mode). What you want actually, it's your unit doing what it's supposed to. Providing the batt V is where you want it to be.

If you're into testing, put a load on the batts, and watch the W rise..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Robert Hunter avatar image
Robert Hunter answered ·

Ahhh it is in float mode yes. So when in float you cannot see what the panels are producing. It blocks the power input from them to the controller.

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yeh, you're onto it. It will also happen in Absorb mode too, when the batts will start limiting their intake to hold the target V.

An enquiring mind could also watch the panel V (before the mppt) and see it rise from it's optimum Vmp towards Voc as the panel W is throttled. The 'lost' power just doesn't get harvested - reflected back out into the ether.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Robert Hunter avatar image Robert Hunter JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thank you very much

0 Likes 0 ·
nikcharles avatar image
nikcharles answered ·

Excellent to find this thread as I had the same issue and this cleared it up nicely. Thanks.

2 |3000

Related Resources