question

jasonsparky avatar image
jasonsparky asked

Tigo optimisers (TS4-O) compatibility with Victron MPPT's

Hi, has anyone installed Tigo panel level optimisers (TS4-O) with the Victron MPPT's? Interested to see if the Tigo MPPT voltage sweep interferes with the Victron MPPT. I have Tigo's installed on several strings (various MPPTS) and it has been successful but observed some strange behavour including some unusual current spikes towards sundown (causing DC breakers to trip).

Background- The system is off-grid with some (growing) shade issues from trees so the optimisers greatly improve performance in partial shaded conditions.

Interested to hear if anyone else has installed Tigo optimisers with Victron MPPT's?

https://www.tigoenergy.com/ts4/

MPPT Controllers
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gpn-tigo avatar image gpn-tigo commented ·

Hi,

We haven't done any testing on Tigo Optimizers with Victron MPPT's, but in general the presence og an MPP-tracker is the only real requirement for TS4-(R-)O's to work well.

You are absolutely correct that Tigo optimizers can greatly improve performance in conditions with partial shading at a price much lower than SolarEdge, and certainly less expensive than micro-inverters. And you can set up module-level-monitoring with them, if that gives you extra value!

For direct questions you can contact the training team at training (at) tigoenergy (dot) com.

Best,

Gunther

0 Likes 0 ·
matejs avatar image matejs gpn-tigo commented ·

I think it would be beneficial for both if Victron gets on the TS4 compatibility list... a bit of testing/technical stuff talk/FW tuning.

1 Like 1 ·
gpn-tigo avatar image gpn-tigo matejs commented ·

Hi,

Tigo would be able to test upon the inverter manufacturer request, the manufacturer could do a field test as well … just set up a small system and see … that it works. Wouldn't see a reason why something should fail!

Gunther

1 Like 1 ·
6 Answers
matejs avatar image
matejs answered ·

I've recently asked the same question on (now obsoleted) Live:

http://disq.us/p/1xaak0q

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jasonsparky avatar image
jasonsparky answered ·

Just some additional information. So far the TS4-O optimisers do not seem to have any issues in combination with the 150V Victron MPPT's, I am using the 150/35 and 150/45 -Tr with no issues.

Where I am seeing major issues is with the lower string voltage 100/50 MPPT's. Interestingly the problem only occurs when there are strings are in parallel. If only 1 string of two panels in connected there are no issues, when a second string of two panels is connected in parallel then major current spikes start occuring.

2 comments
2 |3000

gpn-tigo avatar image gpn-tigo commented ·

Jason, thanks for sharing your experience. For parallel string on one MPP-tracker you should definitely follow Tigo instructions. While selective deployment works on single strings, you need full deployment on parallel strings … meaning, all modules (on all parallel strings) need to be equipped with an optimizer for the system to work.

If your system covers that and still shows strange behavior, you might want to check in with tech support at Tigo and have them take a look. We appreciate to hear about any hick-ups with their products. [support (at) tigoenergy (dot) com]

Gunther

0 Likes 0 ·
jasonsparky avatar image jasonsparky gpn-tigo commented ·

Hi Gunther, yes I have Tigo's on all modules in all strings. I have been in touch with Tigo tech support but they cannot determine the root cause of the current spikes (the 1 sec interval data does not highlight anything obvious).

Unfortuntely it seems I may be the first to use TS4-O modules with strings in parallel on the 100/50 MPPT controller so am the first to experience the issue.

Further testing performed recently was to remove the TIgo's and since I have not recorded any current spikes or issues with the 100/50 controller.
0 Likes 0 ·
giovi avatar image
giovi answered ·

Hi everybody,

today I installed my SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2 with 6 photovoltaic panels complete with 700w tigo optimizers.

The panels are connected two by two, three parallel pairs and everything works perfectly.

My post is just to confirm that tigo optimizers work smoothly on smartsolar

2 |3000

scraggs avatar image
scraggs answered ·

I would imagine Victron may have done some testing to state the following
My 250/100 manual states
9.5.8. Optimisers cannot be used
Do not use solar panels with optimisers together with the solar charger.
Nearly all optimisers contain an MPPT or other tracking mechanisms and this interferes with the MPPT algorithm in the solar charger.
If you ask Tigo they will tell you they work fine with Victron MPPT, but then they also avoided the question about if the optimisers are now configured to work without the monitoring system.
I have my panels that have shade issues on the Fronius AC inverter and they work with Tigo's if I want to use them at a later date.

2 |3000

manuele avatar image
manuele answered ·

I have to install panels with TIGO TS4-O optimizers for shading problems and Victron MPPT RS 450/100.

Has anyone tried this setup before?

Are there any contraindications?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
It's unsupported and not recommended and clearly stated as such in the mppt manual.
0 Likes 0 ·
scraggs avatar image scraggs commented ·

This from the MPPT RS manual

5.6.7. Optimisers cannot be used
Do not use solar panels with optimisers together with the solar charger.
Nearly all optimisers contain an MPPT or other tracking mechanisms and this interferes with the MPPT algorithm in the solar charger.

Tigo told me it would be OK when I enquired with them, but further research from people who had tried it came up with it screwed things up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lionel SEYDOUX avatar image
Lionel SEYDOUX answered ·

I dit try Tigo with Outback Power and when I swiched to Victron's management, with Victron.
Although Tigos' engineers did their best to make it work, I finally unistalled them. No time to invest in hazardous solutions.

Apparently you may have now panels with integrated transformers (a quick search gives SunPower 375Wc, 439€). Advantage: No charger: a good Multiplus is enough. Cables are much thinner.

But I am NOT a pro, only a passionate end-user.. Some other solutions may work

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic