question

seamaster avatar image
seamaster asked

Alternator disconnect alarm on Venus OS to prevent load dump

I have setup 4 X 300AH LiFePo4 batteries with 4 X JK BMS connected and talking to Venus OS thanks to dbus-serialbattery on RPI. This battery bank is located on a boat, but the same potential issue exists on VAN installations. Here it is:
There is a major concern if at any point the battery BMSs disconnect due to high voltage or another reason while the alternator is running, there will over voltage of way over 100V that is going to spike through the system (aka load dump) and possibly fry other equipment on the boat. In this setup I'm using WS-500 smart alternator regulator that could stop the alternator charging when the BMS is about to disconnect due to hight voltage. Even if the WS-500 executes stops charging, the alternator require about 500mS to stop generating to prevent the load dump. Right now Venus OS alarm and relay triggers ant the exact time the BMS issues disconnect command to it's MOSFETs. Obviously there is not enough time for the alternator to shutdown.

The question is can I trick JK BMS or Venus OS to trigger an alarm before any FET disconnect command is issued and is it possible to delay the FET disconnect let's say by 2sec just to be on the safe side? I'm thinking of setting the alternator stop change if possible for 50mV lower setting then the BMS disconnect voltage is set for e.g.

BMS cell over voltage protection: 3.600V

Alarm to be triggered (to stop any charging): 3.550V

Not sure if that could be currently set on Venus OS. Any thoughts?

Venus OSVenus GX - VGXcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, such time critical, and safety/damage- critical, feature is really something to be done by the BMS. Not Venus OS.

Exactly what you are describing is one of the features in our Lynx Smart BMS (to be used only with our own batteries I’m afraid).

All the best, Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seamaster avatar image
seamaster answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Matthijs this is definitely the politicly correct answer (I have years of experience as product manager). BUT, while you are describing it as a feature of the BMS, I would like to simply setup a relay contact to inform me if value (volts in this case) goes above predefined setting. This is basic system capability and I was wondering how can I setup that?

2 |3000

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

This is an interesting topic... I don't really know how to realise such of an early warning, but I would definitly add some "load-dump" prevention curcuit. You can by such suppressor diodes ready to use.

I have installed such circuits in some of my cars, to prevent that the headlight bulbs are fried to often and it works fine.

2 |3000

Patrick avatar image
Patrick answered ·

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9104til2Y

This video describes the functionality a compatible BMS should support.
It is called a "pending disconnect" message.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic