question

solarrex avatar image
solarrex asked

Smart plugs

Hi there!

I would like to know if the Victron Venus devices are compatible with any brand of Smart Plugs? It would be great to switch on / off home devices based on current solar production, battery SoC or other conditions.

If not yet implemented, do you know if this feature will be implemented in the future?

Thanks

Best Regards

Venus OSVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Not directly, but the Venus devices can communicate with MODBUS-TCP and MQTT which are popular communication methods within the smart home realm.
Some home-hub systems might use these protocols. Node-red has MODBUS-TCP nodes which could read parameters from the Venus device and then pass on to smart plugs or something like that.

Not a straight answer, but it is possible if you are happy to tinker.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I spoke to someone at this years Intersolar show who was working on Victron integration for their smart plugs - the company was called https://www.smappee.com/

You might like to try and get in touch with them. I don't think they were working yet, but it would be good for them to know that there is demand.

There is at least some integration already done for their energy meter product - https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-smappee

2 |3000

solarrex avatar image
solarrex answered ·

Thanks so much, very useful answers! However, I was looking for an out of the shelf solution, already to implement with customers.

I wish I had more time to look into the programming capabilities of the Modbus protocol and the Venus, but this would be an entire project in itself.

I'll get in touch with the Smappee guys. Thanks again.

2 |3000