question

ers avatar image
ers asked

Is it possible to use Smart BMS CL 12V 100A just for alternator current limiting?

what i understood is this Smart BMS CL 12V 100A BMS has some kind of built in current limiting functionality based on the installed fuse.

so the question is can i use just this functionality of the device without using other bms features ?

or if i ask in another way, if i connect alternator input to an alternator and output to a battery or load, without bms bus related cables connected will it work and be able to limit the current at the output ?

if the answer is no to above question, is there a way to dummy the bms bus or a setting to turn of bms bus checking and work it without these features ?

Lithium BatteryBMSalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Obviously, using this device for purposes it was not intended will void warranty and support, so be prepared for that.

The short answer is that the BMS will not work but current should be limited to approx 90% of the fuse rating.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ers avatar image ers commented ·

thanks for your answer nickdb.

i was checking the manual after my question and saw in the manual of this device on Error/ Warning Codes page there is an error code which goes like this:

E-B32: Battery BMS Cable not connected or defect

Detached or defect battery BMS cable (with M8 circular connector) detected.

When BMS cables are neither detached nor defect, this can happen when the pre-alarm feature is enabled while using batteries

not supported this feature.

so the device actually checks the bus and raises an error when no bms cable but what i understand from your answer even though it raises an error it won't effect current limiting function is that for sure ?

or it won't bother about bms line working when the pre-alarm option turned off ?

do you have this device ? can you use it without the bms cables ? or you think it should work ?

0 Likes 0 ·
ers avatar image
ers answered ·

anyone using this without victron batteries?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic