question

rescue911 avatar image
rescue911 asked

Error on MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 230V - error 11 step 6

Dear all,

i put into service a MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 230V in october, using only the AC In coming from the grid and AC out 1 going to my home installation.

There are 3 US3000C and 3 US2000C batteries connected to it, along with a Cerbo GX. On the Cerbo I have an EM24 and a ET112 for the grid surveillance and photovoltaic production.

The Multiplus is programmed via MK3 on ESS assistant and french VFR2019 grid code as well as changes in voltage to fit the Pylontech batteries config.

Everything went allright until november, so about one month of service, when all of a sudden and without any changes in the installation and in the cables the Multiplus stopped working.

The error message is :

VE.Bus Error 11: Relay test fault on VE.Bus System
0x800605
VE.Bus Error 11
BF safety test in progress - failing step 6

I spent two days checking everything, including going through all the points mentionned on the Victron site regarding the error 11.

No success. I contacted my vendor who sent the Multiplus to Victron as it was still under guarantee.

It came back the other day with a paper stating that the unit works fine and i have to pay for the error search.

However when I connect the Multiplus back in my installation, the error is still there.

I ended up connecting only the grid on AC In and nothing an AC Out 1 and 2, and also connected the batteries to + and -. The error is still there. The grid is at 240V and 50,1Hz, MK3 shows me everything in green.

Here are some tests done :

I switch on the unit with grid and without batteries
→ the unit is starting. It indicates Low battery which is normal.
I switch on the batteries
→ the unit goes in error (bulk and inverter on flashing, float stays on)

I switch on the unit with grid and without batteries
→ the unit is starting. It indicates Low battery which is normal.
I wait a coupe of minutes
→ lights for mains on and bulk go on, always low battery
I switch on the batteries
→ only the mains on is on
I disconnect the grid
→ the light for inverter on is on
I connect back the grid

I switch on the unit with grid and with batteries

I switch on the unit without grid and with batteries
→ light inverter on is on
I connect back the grid

Victron refuses to send me any checklist or test protocol, despite the fact that i paid for their „service“. So I don't know if they even tested the configuration that I used. When the unit came back it was reset to the default configuration, but that is not the way I need it to work, it needs to be in ESS and with VFR2019 grid code.

The vendor only says there has to be an issue in my installation, but everything else works fine. Also they do not give any information as where to look at exactly.

I was searching the forums including this one and there is absolutely no information what exactly step 6 is, the only thing i found is it may be a „communications error“. But what is supposed to communicate where and with what?

Also there is no explanation why it worked smoothly for one month and all of a sudden it does not anymore.

Any one have an idea what I should try next to find what the issue is? Any help yould be greatly appreciated.

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxPylontecherror 11
8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarsimon avatar image solarsimon commented ·

If you don't mind me asking, in which country are you based? I take it you are in France?

I have the exact same symptoms on my MultiPlus-II after loadshedding (in South Africa).

Edit: My installation was done 4 months ago and no changes were made to wiring or ESS when problem started.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ solarsimon commented ·
Having the same issues recently with eskom, they seem to have severe issues after some loadshedding windows. At present working on delaying the cutover so the grid has time to recover. Been running fine for 2.5 years. Usually around 30 minutes or so later it has stabilised.
0 Likes 0 ·
solarsimon avatar image solarsimon nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
In my case I have had this (error 11) for days and the MulitPlus-II doesn't return to "normal".

Do you perhaps have an idea what the cause may be? To ask differently, what changes in the 30 minutes after loadshedding that is causing the problem to begin with and is there any way to measure/check in my situation?

One other question, do you have a prepaid meter?

0 Likes 0 ·

Is your issue constant and reproducible or is it intermittent?

If you are getting step 6 failures every time when the grid is lost, or you drop the supply manually, then you may well have a relay failure and the unit will need to go for testing.

I have had 2 failures in 2 weeks and the step varied.

I have a "smart meter" same as the prepaid type just on postpaid.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, it is reproducible - it doesn't go away.

It happens when the grid is restored (after loadshedding).

whatsapp-image-2023-01-20-at-070925.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·

Same if you drop the supply breaker to simulate grid loss?

If so sounds like you may have a bad relay and the unit should be taken for testing.

0 Likes 0 ·

If I drop the supply breaker, then there is no error, and the system works as expected. I also need it to work when the grid supply is on.

0 Likes 0 ·
It would fail constantly if the relay was faulty. So that leaves a problematic supply on grid return. I have some testing to do when I get back for my own installation which is experiencing this but irregularly. Almost certain its a bad eskom transformer.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Step 6 on an MP2 is not usually installation related. It can be down to a faulty backfeed relay or an open resistor, these are what the repair centre will check - if it passes the unit is fine.

The fault can also be caused by a bad grid connection, if you drop your AC supply breaker the multi should snap out of it and happily invert and then shut off if you enable the supply again.

You probably want to get a good electrician out to properly test your supply, particularly what is happening with Neutral and Earth, since it is the neutral relay test failing.

I actually had it happen to me after grid returned post-loadshedding (usually when it is at it's most temperamental). I could not get it to accept grid for about 30 minutes, after which it was fine and has been fine since - this on a system installed for over 2 years.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rescue911 avatar image
rescue911 answered ·

Ok so since the unit was also checked by Victron, I have to consider the unit to be ok, even if i have no info what they checked exactly...

However I still do not know exactly what a "communications error" is.

From what i read here and there, usually when there is a problem with neutral and earth it comes back as error 11 step 8 which is not the case here.

I may go and check earth resistance to start with.

5 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Step 8 (and above) is checking the condition of the relays and state of neutral/earth on the AC OUT side. The majority of these issues are installation related.

The RMA document used is fairly straight forward - checking continuity of the relay that is involved with the specific step (if it has failed it will be shorted) and checking the resistance of the associated resistor.

It is quite simple, good relays will be open and the resistors will be within a specific tolerance.

Very similar tests just on different bits.

With steps 7 and below it's on the input side.

Comm errors relate to parallel/3-phase systems where there may be an issue with VE bus cabling interconnecting inverters. This can be a source of issues in bigger systems.

0 Likes 0 ·
rescue911 avatar image rescue911 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
So it is not necessarily a neutral/earth problem here. Also I have a single phase system with only one Multiplus. You mention the VE bus cabling, could there be a problem with the Cerbo GX since it is connected that way with the Multi?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ rescue911 commented ·

No, it can't be caused by a disconnected or broken GX. Comms issues are specific to more complex systems, it can't affect a single Multi.

Systems work fine without a GX, they just have to revert to internal settings and some of the functionality won't be available.

0 Likes 0 ·
rescue911 avatar image rescue911 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Alright so this leads again to the point where i don't know where to look at exactly :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ rescue911 commented ·
WIth a functioning multi, you will have something iffy with your grid supply, wiring, breakers, surge protection etc.
0 Likes 0 ·
l81ker avatar image
l81ker answered ·

Perhaps this video from South Africa will help your investigation proceed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU4x5CqiJdw

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

This video is discussing VE BUS error 8 which is a ground relay test failure.

It is unrelated to error 11, of this topic, which is a relay test error - a multi-step series of tests, step 6 in particular is usually unrelated to the installation, and can be caused by grid issues.

0 Likes 0 ·