question

help-conkouati avatar image
help-conkouati asked

High difference of battery voltage between multiplus and MPPT on Easysolar 48/5000/70 MPPT 150/100

My Easysolar has not been charging the batteries correctly (48V 24xA600 OPzV system) for some time. After investigations, it turns out that the battery voltage recognized by the MPPT is very much above the real voltage (+6.5V approximately). The batteries are therefore never fully charged by the MPPT.

I checked the wiring (it's OK) and the voltages at the various terminals with a multimeter and I always find the same voltage as at the battery terminals as well as that indicated by the Multiplus, never that indicated by the MPPT.

I strongly suspect an internal failure of the MPPT but would like your opinion before replacing it.

battery chargingEasySolar All-in-Onevoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I checked the wiring (it's OK) and the voltages at the various terminals with a multimeter and I always find the same voltage as at the battery terminals as well as that indicated by the Multiplus, never that indicated by the MPPT.

Double check the battery voltage at the mppt's terminals, and the tightness of those terminals.

Also check the multi battery connection point where the mppt is connected for connection tightness.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

help-conkouati avatar image
help-conkouati answered ·

Hello,

I redid all the connections and checked the condition and tightness of the cables, the MPPT charge controller always gives a voltage 6.5 - 7V higher than the actual battery voltage (still correct on the multiplus).

On the other hand, I had the idea of forcing the reinitialization of the MPPT by disconnecting the 48V battery to connect a 12V battery (while waiting for the three minutes necessary for the reinitialization): the new voltage was not detected automatically by the MPPT which remained on a 48V system. I had to do a manual reset of the settings (via bluetooth) for it to recognize the 12V, the same when I reconnected the 48V system.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

the new voltage was not detected automatically by the MPPT which remained on a 48V system.

It is good that you noticed that. The mppt locks the systems battery voltage when first powered up. To change system voltage later, it has to be done manually (or via a "restore to defaults" to enable auto v detection ??).

the MPPT charge controller always gives a voltage 6.5 - 7V higher than the actual battery voltage (still correct on the multiplus).

If the battery voltage at the mppt's terminals reads different to Victron Connect, it sounds like the mppt is broken. Contact your supplier and ask for further advice.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gustavo G avatar image
Gustavo G answered ·

I have read that you can/should turn on DVCC in the settings of the color control, and hit that sharded voltage sense on. I did it on my system and like magic the voltage is now the same.

My voltage was of by 3-4 volt to high. Now i have problem that the MPPT is throttled down when there is no load.

2 |3000

Related Resources