question

venterjl avatar image
venterjl asked

Victron quattro veflash not working

Victron quattro refuses to connect to when using veflash, can't use victronquattro, tried everything nothing works

VictronConnectveflash
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

venterjl avatar image venterjl commented ·

I tried all the procedures shutting down the unit at the right stage, connecting reconnecting cables, using different laptops, nothing works just get error connecting. VE Configure works 100 percent

0 Likes 0 ·

Has anyone some suggestions for me doesn't want to flash at all..

0 Likes 0 ·

Any suggestion please. Is there perhaps a way to force flash a victron 100 series firmware with victron connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
venterjl avatar image
venterjl answered ·

Ok so here is the update I found a solution to my problem. I managed to flash the firmware on my 100 series quattro with victron connect.

So what I did is I connected my new inverter to the mk3 and launched victron connect and selected my inverter when I got into the status page I removed the ethernet to the mk3 and connected my 100 series inverter to the mk3 through ethernet.

The software will tell you your inverter is using v150 for example in my case, but the important thing is I am past the screen blocking me from using victron connect on 100 series firmware.

Went to enable settings entered password zzz and flashed the inverter to version 501 and what do you know victron connect can flash 100 series quattro it is just an artificial block from victron. That is how I solved my problem.

I hope if anyone experiences this problem they can come here, the only issue is you must have a new inverter to bypass the message saying you need to use veflash.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image Al commented ·
Well done for finding a way around! Although not ideal.
0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image
Al answered ·

You haven't really given enough information on your setup for help.

Does Ve.Config work with this Quattro, but you can't get ve.flash to connect to it?

How old is the Quattro?

Are you using MK2 USB or MK3 USB?

6 comments
2 |3000

Do you have a multi control panel attached or CCGX etc attached by rj45 at the same time?
0 Likes 0 ·

Yes veconfig works 100 percent can pull information off and change it and load it back on.

Iam using a MK3 USB, the quattro is about 5 years old but it has the version 100 firmware with the large microprocessor, but it is the 26 version processor.

Yes when I tried to flash the newer firmware onto the quattro it tells me error connecting.

Don't really know what else to do, tried different computers, tried different ports, it autodetects the

port also perfectly fine but when I need to flash it it tells me error connecting.

I see a few people struggled with this with no resolution so I would really like it if somebody has a way to force flash the inverter with victronconnect if I am on the 100 version firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·
venterjl avatar image venterjl venterjl commented ·

Any suggestion from anyone perhaps struggling with this device?

0 Likes 0 ·

I have nothing else connected to the victron only the mk3

0 Likes 0 ·

It looks like a multi control panel it has got the same interface as my quattro but that is how they all come from the factory I assumed

0 Likes 0 ·

Is there no one who has a little bit of insight as to why the device won't communicate when trying to flash the device but I am able to communicate with it using ve config?

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image
Al answered ·

@VenterJL I assume you've made absolutely sure you have downloaded from Victron professional the correct firmware for your quattro? There are quite a few varying models, each with their own .vff file to flash. Make sure the first four numbers match your label. Ie. 2617501.vff

If you have a Cerbo GX, your may just be able to log on to vrm > device list> firmware update, select the quattro to update without having to use ve.flash, possibly also using Victron connect and a otg cable plugged from your phone into the MK3.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi, no I don't have a cerbo gx. Yes the firmware is correct I looked on the microprocessor for the code and know only the last 3 digits is the version number. So that is also not causing the fault.

0 Likes 0 ·

Bump, anyone who can help me still didn't come right victron aren't of any use either.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy156 avatar image
andy156 answered ·

Are you using the upgrade firmware or flash firmware option in ve flash. As someone else said you need the correct firmware but if you have the wrong one it will tell you when it connects. Following the prompts is really import. Ie it asks you ‘turn it off’ do that then click next. Then on the next screen turn it on ask directed etc. Make sure it is connected to dc as although it can be powered from ac this can cause issues during the firmware upgrade.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I'm pretty sure there is a driver issue with your PC.

Did you check the device manager?

Did you try to install the driver manual?

2 comments
2 |3000

I did shut the unit off at the correct times and on and off, but my ac power is still on maybe I should run it just on dc, I will try that. Not a driver issue did install the driver manually all is working correctly if I kill ac and it still doesn't want to flash I will report back. Can't be a driver it detects the com port correctly and I can use veconfig without a problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ venterjl commented ·
Only the MK3 is connected to the Quattro?

What firmware is currently on the Quattro (can be checked in VE.confit with Target - > show software version)?

Can you maybe make a video of how you do it?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@VenterJL

Is there a reason you are using VE Flash instead of Victron Connect to update the firmware? Seems silly to struggle when VC selects the correct firmware etc.

If VE Config is working then your driver is working.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Is there any chance the correct com port wasn't selected?

(edited the topic title, it was making me twitch)

1 Like 1 ·

U cant use victron connect to flash the firmware because it cant update version 100 firmware. It has to be firmware with assistants apparantly. Did try obviously but says use veflash

0 Likes 0 ·
venterjl avatar image
venterjl answered ·

Ok so I tried it without ac power connected to the inverter also no luck, it just seems that there is some problem with veflash. If anyone can give me settings to set or anything for that matter I would appreciate it since this inverter refuses to connect with veflash. I bought a new inverter and even that one refuses to connect with veflash, but because the firmware was like 400 series victon connect worked just fine. So something is wrong software wise with veflash or there is some setting I don't know about.

Any help would be appreciated since I don't really want to split the 2 inverters I want them to work together like I intended from the start. Thanks.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@VenterJL

The older inverter will not work in one system with the new inverter. So this would be a waste anyway. If by one system you are meaning in parallel.

0 Likes 0 ·

@VenterJL

If two different inverters don't work using Ve.flash with the same MK3, then it's probably either the MK3, the MK3 / computer drivers.

I assume you followed the install advice:

USB driver installation program for MK2-USB /
MK3-USB

To install the MK2-USB / MK3-USB driver on a computer without internet, first download the MK2-USB / MK3-USB driver using VEConfig3 and install it by selecting the menu Special -> USB Drivers. Only afterwards connect the MK2-USB / MK3-USB to your computer for the first time.

On computers with internet, Windows will automatically download the correct driver itself.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

Can you borrow a MK3 from someone to test with theirs?

0 Likes 0 ·
venterjl avatar image
venterjl answered ·

Yes i did follow those instructions, no it can't be the mk3 because my new inverter flashed with veconnect, but I can't get veflash to work with either of them. I need veflash since my older inverter has the 100 series firmware on it.

2 comments
2 |3000

But the Mk3 didn't work for either using ve.flash, so it could still be the mk3 ve.flash corupted software or mk3 / computer drivers.

Have you tried another pc with the mk3?

0 Likes 0 ·
venterjl avatar image venterjl Al commented ·
Yes i tried 3 different laptops one with windows 7,10 and 11 not a single one is working, Same error connecting, detects the com port 100 perscent and veconfig works and I can change settings and apply them fine, just veflash not wanting to connect.
0 Likes 0 ·
venterjl avatar image
venterjl answered ·

It just makes no sense to me why victron connect would work 100 percent and I could flash successfully but veflash fails to connect on both inverters. Is there perhaps a way to force flash a 100 series firmware with victron connect maybe?

2 |3000

Al avatar image
Al answered ·

Sounds frustrating.. assuming the MK3 is the only thing plugged in when trying to use veflash, then it sounds like it is faulty or has corrupted drivers / firmware. If you could test another MK3 or even MK2.2 if it's an old quattro that would help rule it out.

Contact your dealer for support, they should be able to ask Victron support direct for you.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

One final thought, have you tried flashing to 200 series 1st and then trying 400? Another thought, I seem to remember the Ve.Bus ports aren't isolated so when flashing firmware a plugged in laptop can damage the port when the quattro shuts down, unlikely scenario, but another possibility.

1 comment
2 |3000

Ok so here is the update I found a solution to my problem. I managed to flash the firmware on my 100 series quattro with victron connect.

So what I did is I connected my new inverter to the mk3 and launched victron connect and selected my inverter when I got into the status page I removed the ethernet to the mk3 and connected my 100 series inverter to the mk3 through ethernet.

The software will tell you your inverter is using v150 for example in my case, but the important thing is I am past the screen blocking me from using victron connect on 100 series firmware.

Went to enable settings entered password zzz and flashed the inverter to version 501 and what do you know victron connect can flash 100 series quattro it is just an artificial block from victron. That is how I solved my problem.

I hope if anyone experiences this problem they can come here, the only issue is you must have a new inverter to bypass the message saying you need to use veflash.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic