question

balu avatar image
balu asked

Monitoring multiple MPPTs as a group

HI,

I just installed 4x110W solar panels on my sailboat, each connected to their individual MPPT controller, and I would like to know if I can 'group' the output of all of the panels together.

As they are now, I can see each MPPT individually, and see their output on my phone through the Victron app, which is fantastic. I already have a battery monitor (Xantrex Link 1000), so I didn't buy the Victron battery monitor (BMV-712 I believe it is).

You have a product (MPPT control) but it seems like each controller needs to connect to the monitor with a cable, then use a bluetooth dongle... and I don't want that.

I could install a shunt (with the BMV-712) on the negative wire after the bus bar (only information from all the solar panels), and from there I would send it to the 'final' shunt. Would that make sense? Does the BMV-712 shows historical solar data, similar to what it can be seen for each individual panel? Any other product that would do what I'm looking for?I already have the other battery monitor for SOC, Voltage, etc...

Thanks in advance,

MPPT ControllersBluetoothSolar Panelmonitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the BMV will do that however it wont give you the history thats shown on the MPPT units. you can see this in the DEMO selection on your victron connect app

select demo then BMV to view what it can give you

the only other option is a Venus GX unit and a connection to the Victron VRM as that will give you the history but only when you have internet coverage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

balu avatar image
balu answered ·

Thank you for the reply!

I was hoping to install the BMV 712 and create a network between the BMV and the MPPTs, but it looks like this won't allow me to display the 'total solar output' with the same bar graph display as with the individual MPPTs.

It's not a big deal to be honest. I've seen the VenusGX but I don't think it's worth the expense for just getting the total solar output.

Thanks again,

2 |3000

Related Resources