question

minmin avatar image
minmin asked

Low profile cooling fan mount (3D-printed) for Orion DC - DC chargers

Hello All,

overlooking my deep disappointment with the lack of smart integration on the Orion "Smart" DC chargers I purchased, I read that they tend to run quite hot. The heat efficiency losses that I expected from reading seemed quite poor but i was determined to come up with a basic solution so that everything could be Victron and on the same smart network. Although I am extremely disappointed with the lack of actual smart-integration with these and the IP-22, I think that the following modification solves the overheating problem. At least they have kept mine down to a comfortable touching temperature with this compact and low profile cooling solution.

It may not be perfect, though I give it here free to all so you can print your own. It is sized for two* "6015 brushless turbo fans" which i ordered from ali express. The design fetures a cable channel to run the cables nicely away from things. I have wired all of them to the same 12v switch that activates the orions in my van. (I would not recommend wiring them directly to your engine as in my opinion they can overcharge the batteries a bit due to the lack of smart integration (since they always go into bulk mode first even if at high SOC!!!!)). In the future I might add a temperature relay in front of them so they only turn on above 40C or something like that but who knows. See attached photos and Files.

I printed with supports but they were a pain to remove. I would probably go supportless for future prints and it should turn out with a decently calibrated printer regardless of the roof and overhangs (has an interior slope to help this) Also, I printed them with PETG due to low cost and decent temperature resistance. I would highly recommend the same. Overall the print could be tuned a lot more to use less plastic and such but I just wanted them a bit over built to avoid multiple prototyping to just get something done and installed quickly for an upcoming trip.

Hope this keeps your orions as cool as mine. here is the STL file for printing: OrionCoolerMount.zip

If you do not have access to a 3D printer, many libraries have one and will only charge you consumable materials (peraps a few dollars/euros (3-5) for two of these). Ask them to print out of "P.E.T.G." since it will be in close proximity with something that gets hot. I used maybe 30% infill but with 4 wall layers and 5 upper layers making most of it (apart from the fan bases) effectively solid. Many libraries may only print out of PLA which I am not sure can withstand the heat in the summer with these things. Maybe yes, Maybe no.

some extra keywords: Orion, OrionSmart, Orion smart, Overheating, hot, Cooling, TR

orionfinandcooler.jpg

here is the orion fin modeled (blue) and then the final fan holding apparatus.

orioncoolermount3views.jpg

multiple views of the fan cooler

screenshot-20230107-173105-1.jpg

cheap fans that i bought on aliexpress

orionpic.jpg

Final prouct installed

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smartorion dc-dcorion
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

farhady avatar image farhady commented ·
Great solution to overheating of Orion DC To DC charger. I don’t have experience to make this. Are you willing to make one like yours and sell it to me?
0 Likes 0 ·
cliverobbo avatar image cliverobbo commented ·

Hi Andrew, I had my friend print your design in the P.E.T.G and the fans fit great. I haven't fitted it yet to my 12 12 30 as I have just finished an electronics project for it to use a relay when the temp of the heat sink goes above 40 or 45 degrees C. I used an ESP32 microcontroller connected to a relay and a Dallas Temperature sensor and got it working perfectly with Arduino code and also ESPHome code for Home assistant. I'll probably bond the sensor onto one of the heatsink find with Sikaflex 227. Thank you for listing the design files and I am more than happy send both pages of code and the components used if anyone wants.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That looks rather good. Thank you very much for sharing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Encountered this some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvXkdgln1NA

While he isn't offering cooling system details, he provides evidence of cooling effectiveness.

1 comment
2 |3000

minmin avatar image minmin commented ·
neat! thanks for posting this. Seems like also a similar and good solution. I think his solution is a bit better with the larger fans but the one I posted here is a bit more compact.

Nice to see someone record some data about it too. It really seems like it works as they now get warm but no where near too hot to touch while the fans are on.

0 Likes 0 ·
duxster avatar image
duxster answered ·

Hi, love the design. Would you mind if I used your design, modified it slightly and then print it for people within our FB group? I'd only be charging a nominal fee to cover production and postage. Just trying to help those who do not have access to 3D printers. Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

matt-tingle avatar image matt-tingle commented ·
Did you make this ? If so can you send me a link to the fb page as I'd like to buy one for my b2b please
1 Like 1 ·
Go for it!

Please also post your prints/modifications and such

0 Likes 0 ·
dmac001 avatar image
dmac001 answered ·

This is a great idea.

Can you connect the 12v fans to the Orion output terminal after the fuse? This is a direct path to the battery being charged, so the fans will be powered when Orion is running. This simplifies my wiring.

If the output battery is disconnected, will the Orion notice this or will it push 30A through the fans, possibly melting?

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi,

im not positive that is the best approach but assuming you wire them in parallel and NOT in series along this path then I would assume it would work. Check your max voltage settings vs. fan input voltage range though! and probably consult someone more knowledgeable than I!

0 Likes 0 ·
Andrew Ford avatar image Andrew Ford commented ·
How did you go with this? I was thinking about wiring a fan up in a similar manner but there was voltage from the battery on that side of the orion. So even if it wasn't charging, the battery would run the fan indefinitely.
0 Likes 0 ·
cliverobbo avatar image cliverobbo commented ·

Hi Andrew, I had my friend print your design in the P.E.T.G and the fans fit great. I haven't fitted it yet to my 12 12 30 as I have just finished an electronics project for it to use a relay when the temp of the heat sink goes above 40 or 45 degrees C. I used an ESP32 microcontroller connected to a relay and a Dallas Temperature sensor and got it working perfectly with Arduino code and also ESPHome code for Home assistant. I'll probably bond the sensor onto one of the heatsink find with Sikaflex 227. Thank you for listing the design files and I am more than happy send both pages of code and the components used if anyone wants.

0 Likes 0 ·
redwoodtree avatar image
redwoodtree answered ·

This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing. 100% agree on your disappointment with the overall nature of this product. I will be adding this cooling.

1 comment
2 |3000

Great and good luck. hope you post a build or print photos!
0 Likes 0 ·
rock2ya avatar image
rock2ya answered ·

i tought about doing the same, luckily i was able to mount a 140mm Fan on the backside of the panel where the orion is mounted, so i drilled a big circular hole underneath it and now it runs cool aswell

2 |3000