question

massyn avatar image
massyn asked

Can I add a IP65 charger to a SmartSolar MPPT and Phoenix Inverter setup?

Hi,

I want to build a little inverter system for home usage (mainly to run a TV and wifi during loadshedding - Yes, I am in South Africa). So I am looking at the SmartSolar MPPT 75/15, Phoenix Inverter 12/500, 160W solar panel and 102Ah deep cycle battery. I want to set it up as per the picture below but was wondering whether I can add the IP65 battery charger to the battery terminals as shown in the image. Will that cause any issues with the battery?

including-ip65.png

MPPT ControllersPhoenix InverterSolar Panelip65
including-ip65.png (1.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Massyn

Yes it is. I have exactly the same set up.

Just be sure that the battery can take the amps from both chargers without causing damage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

massyn avatar image
massyn answered ·

Great, thanks @Alexandra. Stupid question but how would I know the amps that the battery can take? My IP65 is a 5A charger and the MPPT 15/75 can do 15A if I am not mistaken, so I would exceed the 102Ah battery's capacity?

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Not likely with 20A of charge even if your battery is a lead acid or agm. Most can take that many amps.

Usually the information is in the battery datsheet or on the side of the battery.... Recommended charging amps. Do t forgt to set your voltages.

0 Likes 0 ·
massyn avatar image massyn commented ·

Great, thanks for the help @Alexandra!

0 Likes 0 ·
massyn avatar image
massyn answered ·

@Alexandra, one last question. Do I need the inverting remote on-off cable for my application, as shown in the image?

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Massyn

Do you mean this cable?

No you dont need it.

0 Likes 0 ·
massyn avatar image massyn Alexandra ♦ commented ·

No, I mean this cable.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/inverting-remote-on-off-cable

My understanding is that this cable will allow the MPPT to switch the inverter off if the MPPT detects that the battery voltage is becoming dangerously low.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ massyn commented ·
I suppose you could.

To be honest on my 12/800 just used the low battery voltage cut off settings on the inverter. (Have the VE direct BT dongle on it.)
0 Likes 0 ·