question

diabolik avatar image
diabolik asked

offgrid PV control logic

power_supply_system_A02.pdf

Hi,

Im new to victron products, but I'm seriously considering to get a complete offgrid system from them for my tiny house. In principle, it is a typical PV offgrid system with solar modules, charge controller, inverter etc. Now one of the ideas was to use the excess energy to heat the water in the DC water tank (Fothermo PVB-80) in times when the batteries are full (or above a certain setpoint value). Another was to automate the startup and shutdown of a backup generator. Basically my requirements to the control system can be summarized in the table below as follows:

event

action

battery SOC is below certain setpoint minimum (e.g. 10%)

signal to startup the backup generator

battery SOC is above certain setpoint value (e.g. 80%)

shut off the backup generator (if it was on)

battery SOC is above certain setpoint value (e.g. 90%)

power the water boiler

battery SOC is below certain setpoint value (e.g. 50% or the same 90%)

cut off the power to the water boiler

battery SOC is below certain setpoint value (e.g. 10%)

power only a specific selected circuit (with critical components like heating contour pumps etc.)

The last item in the table is basically emergency standby: when battery SOC is very low and all power supply modes (PV, backup generator) have failed due to one reason or another, it is necessary to power only the selected circuit with critical components, such as heating contour pump group that will circulate water through a propane tankless heater.

Now as I'm new to the victron products, I'm curious if the aforementioned functionality is possible to achieve with standard victron components and what exact components are required for that (probably Cerbo GX is the right tool, but I only took a quick glimpse at it so far). Would be also nice to know if some specific backup generator is required to match the mentioned control logic or any typical backup generator with electric starter would suffice.

P.S. Attached you will see my principal design draft. I'm sorry if I trigger any electrical engineers by not following the correct convention with black/red wires etc., as it's not my core expertise. When it will come to the detailed design stage, I will definitely consult with professionals on the exact layout, required charger control capacities and so on. Any critique and feedback on the system design and the control logic is also welcomed and appreciated.

cerbo gxgenerator auto startcontrol
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @diabolik

All of the things you mention are possible with standard Victron kit. But you need to be aware that some may not have the features you want, so take care choosing. Eg. A Multiplus II can be bought with an onboard GX, but may not have the external relay options you seek, So you might be better with a Cerbo GX, with more options if you're into this sort of thing.

Some gensets come or are optioned with a 'start module'. So you could look into what's needed there once you provide it with a start signal. The Cerbo can handle the genset.

That leaves 'Assistants' in the Multi free to play with the other needs. The Multi has an ACOut2 relay which can be controlled from within, and/or external outputs to trigger external ac switching for special needs. Assistants are very powerful, but you need to get your head around how they work. So a bit of practice goes a long way. And control of your 'idea machine', as the options are a free-for-all in some respects.

Try the Victron website for info on all this stuff. Spec sheets on all kit, tech info, Assistants, etc. A bunch of example schematics too to contemplate your own system in amongst similar with lotsa optional extra kit. Even training in Victron Professional for the Assistants.

Ok, so you're fresh to Victron. Learning curve beckons if you want to pre-empt an installer. But yeh, great to cooperate with excellent kit. Enjoy the trip..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.