question

remibggx avatar image
remibggx asked

Can I input other than Victron branded device into Victron BMS?

Hi,

I have been looking online without success to my question.

I bought a 160ah Victron Smart Battery and a Victron BMS to protect it against surcharges.

My RV already has a solar charger and a 220V charger from other brand. I am planning to install a Victron Orion charger to load the battery while driving, so here no problem.

Can I plug the solar and the 220V chargers to the BMS if they are not from the same brand?

If yes, do you, by any chance, know how to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer.

Rémi

battery chargingLithium BatteryBMScharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I need more information oin what you actually have to be sure however.

Presuming that you are using a VE BMS unit thats connected to the batteries - then this unit also has a load and charge relay output cutoff control so you could use these controls to turn off external loads or external charging, via a relay thats controlled by the VE BMS units outputs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

remibggx avatar image
remibggx answered ·

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

I do have the VE. Bus BMS with the Mains Detector (link for example):

https://www.myshop-solaire.com/battery-management-system-bms-ve-bus-victron-energy-_r_696_i_1369.html

Would you be able to redirect me towards the additional relay I need to have in this case?

Would this work automatically or manually?

Thanks,

Remi

2 comments
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·

You sayed:

I bought a 160ah Victron Smart Battery

Does it not have already the BMS integrated
AFAIK with this battery you do not need an external BMS and the disconnect relais

0 Likes 0 ·
remibggx avatar image remibggx Michelle Konzack commented ·
Unfortunately you do need it with this battery. It sucks quite a bit. I initially thought that I made a good deal becasue I had 15% off the battery, but not only Victron's devices are expensive but on top of that I need to add a lot of extra stuff that relatively expensive too to make it work.

I frankly regret my purchase. I should have looked somewhere else first :S

0 Likes 0 ·
remibggx avatar image
remibggx answered ·

Alright, so I figured it out:

The relays needed are the following:

• Cyrix-Li Charge
  • Cyrix-Li Load

Basically, the charging/loading devices need to connected to the Cyrix-Li charge/load and then got to the respective plug in the BMS (Charge/Load). Then the BMS can be connected safely to the battery.

What I am not sure though, is:

Do I need one Cyrix-Li per charging devices ? or Do I need only one for all my charging devices (slar panel charger, 220v charger and Orion charger)? Is there not a risk of overloading the system if I am charging with the 220V charger and the solar panels are active too?

The two devices seems to be fairly easy to install but... they cost about 80€ each... that's such a huge disappointment. I keep on adding more and more cost to my Victron installation. I wish I looked somewhere else !

2 |3000

Related Resources