question

Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala asked

Quattro-II AC-input detect: Dropping the active grid without activating generator?

This is more or less continuation of my previous case:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/147619/quattro-ii-48v-5kva-wont-switch-active-ac-input-to.html

I still don't understand the Quattro's algorithm when switching inputs:

- AC2 (lower priority) input is active from grid

- Generator starts in AC1 (higher priority), voltage is detected in AC1

- AC2 is instantly dropped + inverter activated

- AC1 remains inactive, AC2 remains inactive

Why drop the working grid (AC2) if the generator (AC1) is not accepted? What is the point in that? I've crashed my servers behind Victron many times because of that, when the batteries run dry. And yes, It's good reason to start generator when batteries are dry.

Inverter SHOULD NEVER DROP OUTPUT IF THERE IS POWER AVAILABLE.

I thought that would have been kind of obvious, but it's not. Could it be fixed?

Could GX provide clear information why Quattro doesn't accept generator power?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The problem is your Generator or the settings for AC IN 1.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

You have to ensure that the settings are correct that the Quattro is accepting the generator before you start using the system.

The Quattro has to drop the AC IN 2 before it can start to "test" and synchronize to AC IN 1.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
Thanks! I had changed them, but I've not seen that page before. And went through those settings once again. Note that the instructions are for Multiplus, mine is Quattro-II and once you connecto to it with VE.Configure, the settings look a bit different here and there.

This genset has problems with its governor - which does not help with picky inverter, but I managed to get it into charge mode yesterday. I think the setting 'dynamic' that increases the load gradually helped.

Anyway, like I said before, it would be hugely helpful if there would be some sort of genset "monitor" (something similar like DeepSea Syncroscope) in GX console - monitor that would show detected parameters and show them against the configured ones, highlight the problematic ones.

VE.Configure has monitor, but that doens't help much when it cannot be even connected at the same time as GX is.

Next I need to fix that governor or find an another genset.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

AC input 1 has priority over AC input 2 so as long as your generator is producing power the Quattro will use it even if the grid is present.

I believe only AC input 1 has an independent detection circuit so when it is in use the Quattro doesn't know if the grid is present or not.

You should get your expected behavior if you reconnect the grid to AC input 1 and the generator to AC input 2 and set "Don't run generator when AC in 1 is present" in the generator settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
I want to use generator when it's running. In my case electricity is byproduct from heating and once available, let it charge the batteries. Hence it's attached to higher priority AC1 input.

Not sure but apparently the input measurement cannot be done for both inputs at the same time? That could be the reason why grid is instantly dropped when genset voltage appears. Just guessing here.
0 Likes 0 ·