question

Anil Ghatikar avatar image
Anil Ghatikar asked

ess mode #6 generator continues charging

.Hello @mvader, @Guy

I have an issue with my three phase ESS, BYD being overcharged while running on generator

the Quattro keep on charging the battery with small current even when soc is 100% and CCL is reported as zero by BYD

I had to switch off the generator for fear of tripping on overvoltage ( reported by BYD 57v)

the firmware is v2.20~67 ) DVCC= on charging current set to 0 and CCL = 0 (reported by BYD)

this happens when only running on the generator on GRID input it stops correctly the charging

to check I changed the soc limit to 70 and dvcc charge current limit to zero

When running on generator the Quattro keeps on charging the battery. the solar chargers and pv inverters have been correctly throttled

the charge current changes from as low as 1.5 amp to 15 amp

Tthe Quattro keeps on toggling between bulk and passthrough mode

should it not remain in passthrough ?

the same thing happens when the soc is 100 % and the mode selected is kept batteries charged

ESSGeneratorDVCCBYD
capture.jpg (44.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

ESS is not really intended for use with a generator, but with a grid connection. Though it can work.

Why have you selected to use ESS?

What triggers/controls the starting and stopping of the generator?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Anil Ghatikar avatar image
Anil Ghatikar answered ·

ESS is working with grid connected to AC in 1. Generator is on AC2 of the quattro. The geneartor is 20 KVA Diesel(caterpillar/perkins) with prime duty rating.

I have not seen any issues over the last year(in single phase)

In ve configure the grid tab settings are country type=other and AC detection is LOM2

The generator is started by venus generator start logic on low soc of 65% and stopped on 95 %

I noticed the problem only when I manually started the gen( using vrm)

2 |3000