question

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht asked

Assistance with integrating Govee BLE Temperature Sensors

I'd like to integrate Govee's BLE temperature and humidity sensors into Venus, similar to how Ruuvi sensors are integrated. The Govee sensors are significantly cheaper than the Ruuvi sensors, and also provide a display on some of them (useful for using in a refrigerator or freezer). I'm specifically using the H5101, which comes in a two pack for $25 USD on Amazon.

There's an integration written for these sensors for Home Assistant (https://github.com/Home-Is-Where-You-Hang-Your-Hack/sensor.goveetemp_bt_hci), and I'd think that information from that could lead to a relatively simple modification of the code used for Ruuvi sensors, but I'm not a programmer and don't know where to start. Would anyone be willing to offer some assistance in making this work?

Venus OSBluetoothTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

@robsweet and @Ghostrider:

I saw you two were pretty involved in adding the Mopeka sensor integration. Would either of you be interested in assisting with this?

I've identified some sections of python code that parse out the BLE advertisements from the Govee sensors (from https://github.com/Bluetooth-Devices/govee-ble/blob/main/src/govee_ble/parser.py), and I have some data dumps from some sensors (thanks RasPi and bluetoothctl), but I don't know enough about C programming to translate it over.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alex-jimenez avatar image
alex-jimenez answered ·

I was looking into getting the Govee Bluetooth Hygrometer Thermometers since they are way cheaper than the Ruuvi, and came across this post.

I really wish Victron would at least provide an api for bluetooth sensors, seems like they just made a deal with Ruuvi, but that's the only bluetooth sensor that they allow

2 |3000

gharshaw avatar image
gharshaw answered ·

@Jeremy Albrecht I use Martin's MQTT driver to import my Govee Thermometers into Venus.

https://github.com/freakent/dbus-mqtt-devices

3 comments
2 |3000

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht commented ·
That’s interesting, but my Govee sensors are Bluetooth, not WiFi.
0 Likes 0 ·
gharshaw avatar image gharshaw Jeremy Albrecht commented ·

As are mine. You use the raspberry pi you mentioned to run the govee ble decode python script and then use Martin’s temperature sensor python example on the raspberry pi to update into Venus via Martin’s MQTT driver.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht gharshaw commented ·
Ahh ok. I definitely don’t want any extra devices added to my system. The RasPi is just being used at my house for data grabbing and development.

The Cerbo can already read temperature sensors. No reason to not use the built in capabilities.

1 Like 1 ·