question

mday73 avatar image
mday73 asked

Energy Meter Capability

I currently have a full Victron system (soup to nuts) on our sailboat. We use SmartShunts to monitor power output of a wind generator and one of the small solar banks that cannot be supported by a Victron MPPT. They work great.

I am currently installing an Electromaax 24V/160A high output alternator on our main engine. It is externally rectified and controlled, assisting with heat management and charging of the Victron LFP bank (24V/600Ah). The installation requires two shunts for system monitoring: 1) The main system shunt for the battery bank on the negative side and 2) A secondary shunt on the positive output side of the rectifier (used as an Energy Meter as well for the Alternator). Both are Victron Smart Shunts 500A/50mV.

It appears the Smart Shunt on the positive output side is no longer working. Maybe it is a defect or damage caused by myself during transport/install/etc.

My question. Does anyone see a potential cause for failure based on the layout (output side + of the alternator)? This is the first piece of blue equipment with a short lifespan and it makes me wonder if the install is to blame.

Thank you all for your insight.

SmartShuntEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dc-marine avatar image
dc-marine answered ·

Hi, the Smartshunt is designed to operate on the negative side. You may have damaged some of the electronic components due to reverse polarity.

The Electromaax install kit comes with two analog shunts that are not polarity sensitive, but care should be taken to have the proper wiring polarity for the data leads otherwise you'll have a reverse reading.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.