question

james09 avatar image
james09 asked

Victron Global Link 520 Water Tank Sensor

Hi - I have an off-grid shack in Australia with a Victron power setup including a Global Link 520. I would like to attach a water sensor (10k litres / 1.8m tall) to my tank (which is about 5-10m from the GL520) to alert me when I need to fill up my tank. Can anyone recommend a decent water tank sensor for this purpose? Thanks!

tank monitorgloballink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
hardy-tuner avatar image
hardy-tuner answered ·

U have space under the tank? Then this is one supported option via Bluetooth

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/148366/mopeka-pro-sensors-in-venus-29018.html

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Mopeka Pro is not yet supported as a smart device for the GlobalLink 520.

0 Likes 0 ·
james09 avatar image james09 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Unfortunately the tank is on the ground so I’d have to dig a section up to place the sensor on it. I was thinking a wired floating sensor might worth or something that I could pin to the lower quartile of the tank ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ james09 commented ·

Unfortunately there is currently no tank sensor supported by the GlobalLink 520.

0 Likes 0 ·
james09 avatar image james09 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks, is there a running list of what is supported anywhere?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ james09 commented ·
Hi James, yes the manual and datasheet are the best place.

The Bluetooth on the GlobalLink can be used to read data from (a select list) of Victron products. And it can be used to read data (temperature, humidity and air pressure) from the Ruuvitags. Nothing else.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ james09 commented ·

Sorry James, missed that.

There is a list of data attributes that are sent to VRM (from where you can access the data) from all devices that can be connected to the GlobalLink via VE.Direct and BLE. Please see: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GlobalLink_520/en/appendix.html#UUID-5a4b7f79-dede-1b6a-0404-7fff6c689486

0 Likes 0 ·
Øystein Hennø avatar image
Øystein Hennø answered ·

You can use a 3rd party water sensor with a relay output, and connect it to the digital input of the Globallink. Then you will get alarm when the digital input is triggered.

/Oystein

2 comments
2 |3000

james09 avatar image james09 commented ·
Thanks Oystein - any 3rd party water sensors you can recommend?
0 Likes 0 ·
Øystein Hennø avatar image Øystein Hennø james09 commented ·

Anything with a relay works...

Just google "float switch sensor"

Example: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/automation-control-gear/sensors/float-switches/

It depends mostly on how easy or advanced/clean you want to install the sensor itself. This one is very easy... as it just floats on the top... once it goes vertical, it triggers: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/float-switches/1919492

Can be hung from the lid of the tank, no need to drill extra holes in the tank.

/Oystein

0 Likes 0 ·
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

Hi James, we do water tank sensors with 2% of Full Scale repeatability. These are differential pressure with the air side of the sensor having a small tube encased in the electrical cable from the sensor. Your height is a special order. The sensor is 10-30V power and output is 0-5V DC. So if you put this into the AUX of a Smart Shunt you would read the voltage remotely and therefore translate as level. We do have a new product for 2023 (our own PCB) which reads Victron Bluetooth devices and shows values on a 55mm round touch display locally. Just google Safiery. Cheers

2 |3000

Related Resources

GX Tank 140 product page

Connecting tank monitoring to Cerbo GX

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic