question

sfidler avatar image
sfidler asked

Mopeka Pro sensors in Venus 2.90

1659496571493.png

Mopeka Pro compatibility has been added to Venus OS v2.90. Works both in the normal version of Venus OS as well as Venus OS Large.

Only the Pro H2O and Pro LPG sensors are compatible.

Thank community members @ghostrider and @robsweet for doing most of the coding and @mvader for making it possible.

The following is a combination of what you will see and what I did and is not intended to be a detailed how to.

The official Victron / Mopeka documentation is here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/mopeka-pro-sensor-support.html

I downloaded the Raspberry Pi 2 file for my Pi 3B and flashed it onto a new SD card using the Raspberry Pi imager. I booted the Pi while connected by ethernet to my local network, identified the IP address and connected to the IP in my browser to access the Remote Console (RC). In the RC I entered the WiFi credentials for my RV trailer.

1659496570978.png

To find your sensors, scroll down to Settings - I/O - Bluetooth sensors. Make sure Enable is on.

The continuous scanning might be necessary to enable in case of connection issues. It was for me. Note that it does come at a cost in certain cases: WiFi throughput of the Cerbo GX can reduce dramatically, its because the WiFi and the Bluetooth use the same radio. In a Pi and when using an external bluetooth dongle that will be different.

1659496571251.png

Back out to the main Device List menu.

1659496571071.png

Select a sensor in the menu.

1659496571139.png

Scroll down and select Device. In this menu you can add a custom name and record the ID found under Device Name. Go back one level and select Setup.

1659496571315.png

In Setup you can add tank capacity and select fluid type and volume unit. This screen also shows the current sensor value. I used this to determine the value when empty then filled the tank to determine the value when full.

1659496571612.png

1659496571723.png

These are the Remote Console pages. You can also just select pages that show only one type of tank i.e. LPG or Waste Water.

1659496571672.png

The introductory image at the top of this article is the VRM dashboard. In VRM I created two custom widgets shown here.

Venus OS
1659496570978.png (26.8 KiB)
1659496571071.png (21.9 KiB)
1659496571139.png (26.1 KiB)
1659496571251.png (31.1 KiB)
1659496571315.png (26.9 KiB)
1659496571612.png (44.3 KiB)
1659496571723.png (29.1 KiB)
1659496571672.png (37.6 KiB)
1659496571493.png (77.9 KiB)
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Tierney avatar image Justin Tierney commented Ā·
I see you are using the sensors for LP and water. What are you using for your grey and black tank sensors? Thanks for posting this also, I was following the other thread and waiting for this day.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 commented Ā·

Does anyone know if v2.90~18 is the large einstein (cerboGX) version? And whether the v2.90~20 version that is now present in the testing folder includes the ~18 code for Mopeka (I assume it does, but just checking)?

UPDATE: I am pretty sure this is NOT the large version. So I guess my question is, does anyone know when might this update make its way to the large version? Thanks!

UPDATE 2: Both the normal and the large are present in the directory, as v2.90~20. Sorry for being a goober!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
riprock99 avatar image riprock99 riprock99 commented Ā·
Good news: The Mopeka sensors work in 2.90~18 large, and the ability to access them via Node Red is working as well! It isn't totally clear to me if the Bluetooth continuous scanning is required. If the people working on this sensor are reading this, I have a request - could you add the temperature measurement from the Mopeka sensor to what can be accessed via Node Red? Overall, very nice job!
0 Likes 0 Ā·
lfhoward avatar image lfhoward commented Ā·
@Sfidler, this looks fantastic! Do you know if Venus can take into account the shape of horizontal cylindrical tanks? The percent full volume would be related to the propane depth but would not be a linear function of depth like it would be in a rectangular water tank or a vertical cylinder. (I ask because my tank is a horizontal cylinder.) Thanks for posting this! It is exciting to have LPG monitoring as a VRM option now.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
lfhoward avatar image lfhoward lfhoward commented Ā·

The Mopeka Pro sensors can be custom programmed to a particular tank size and shape using their bluetooth phone app. Will Venus be receiving raw data (like propane depth) from the sensor, or will it receive the percentage data that is already modified for correct tank dimensions? If it is the latter, then no conversions would be needed on the Victron side and the displayed capacity would be correct.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell lfhoward commented Ā·
I have just set mine up on Venus v2.90~24, it looks like the Venus device just picks up the % value that is sent from the Mopeka, you then set the depth and capacity in the Venus device, which probably then assumes volume and depth are proportional to the % value.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
hey @Sfidler great post. I took the liberty to change the title a bit as well as modify a few more things; so any future readers are not bothered with the beta stuff. Hop that that is OK with you, all the best, Matthijs
0 Likes 0 Ā·
16 Answers
freher avatar image
freher answered Ā·

Same here, I have updated a running v2.90~14 on a RP4 via firmware upgrade (using an usb-drive) to v2.90~18 and was able to integrate my mopeka pro sensors. Works exactly as expected. Great work!!!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

netweb avatar image
netweb answered Ā·

I'm struggling to find any of the Mopeka Pro sensors for sale here in Australia that are less than triple the price listed at https://www.mopeka.com/shop/, and sadly Mopeka don't ship direct to Australia....

Hint, Mopeka, would be great if you did offer shipping down under, please and thank you

5 comments
2 |3000

tonybert avatar image tonybert commented Ā·

Check out his URL... branded as LCI Lippert but looks to be the same product.

https://www.coastrv.com.au/products/gas-equipment/accessories/item/bottlecheck

Edit: Better yet, do a Google search for LCI Lippert Bottlecheck... plenty of results showing in stock for the Land Down Under.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
db73 avatar image db73 tonybert commented Ā·
I got an LCI Lippert Bottlecheck Pro today but cannot get it to show in the remote console. Tried to set it up in the Mopeka iphone app but it wouldnā€™t recognise it so wondering if thatā€™s the issue. Does it need to be setup in only the Mopeka app and not just the Bottlecheck app here in Australia?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem db73 commented Ā·
From your description I suspect that the identification of the Bottlecheck is not the same as the Mopeka so won't be detected by the GX device. Victron would need to add specific code to identify the Bottlecheck.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
db73 avatar image db73 Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Thanks that what I thought. @Ghostrider and @robsweet is it possible to add code for Lippert Bottlecheck app to integrate?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Tim from Eat Sleep Van avatar image Tim from Eat Sleep Van commented Ā·
I bought mine through their Amazon store, shipped to NZ happily. Same prices.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
harold avatar image
harold answered Ā·

Will this be available in the Large only?

Or also in normal?

(I have a CCGX, so cannot run Large)

2 comments
2 |3000

sfidler avatar image sfidler commented Ā·

This is normal.

2 Likes 2 Ā·
dereppsteiner avatar image dereppsteiner commented Ā·

in normal is also available

0 Likes 0 Ā·
harold avatar image
harold answered Ā·

anyone found a webshop in Europe?

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented Ā·

I purchased two on Amazon UK and they were direct imported from the US. They are also available on Amazon Germany so may also be available on other EU Amazon shops.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Mopeka-Sensor-Magnets-Steel-024-2002/dp/B08RR2HP1Z

2 Likes 2 Ā·
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered Ā·

Got mine up and running. However just for anyone like me if you have trouble with Bluetooth not blinking but wifi was. The cerbo shuts off Bluetooth when internal temp gets to 53 deg.

It has been in mid 30 deg here and cerbo had to cool down before they would read. Today same thing, they just disappear from display. Then come back when it cools down. But system seems stable and working fine.

1 comment
2 |3000

eric-thomas avatar image eric-thomas commented Ā·
I had to revert back to 2.89 cause of the Bluetooth not blinking. It wasn't too hot either. I don't have any of the pro sens9rz yet so it is fine for now.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dereppsteiner avatar image
dereppsteiner answered Ā·
does anyone know what settings are necessary for a 11kg gas bottle....Thanks
2 |3000

jdstephens avatar image
jdstephens answered Ā·

Is there a way of using the Lippert sensor? Physically they look exactly the same as the mopeka but I know they are different

2 |3000

jackandy avatar image
jackandy answered Ā·

Can you install the Mopeka Pro Check-Water Sensor on the top of the tank instead of the bottom? Right now, Mopeka is only selling the bottom mount version but my tank sits on its bottom.

4 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented Ā·
You should check this with Mopeka. My thought is it will not work because it sends an ultrasonic signal through the liquid, which is reflected by the surface. If you put it on the top it will just signal an empty tank as there is no liquid to transmit the ultrasound.
1 Like 1 Ā·
jackandy avatar image jackandy commented Ā·

The answer I got from Mopeka on September 30th 2022:

"No the bottom only works from the bottom. The top mount should be ready by first to mid Nov. unfortunately its up to Victron. They are the ones that have to finish the integration."

As of today, the top mount is still not for sale.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
paul-w avatar image paul-w jackandy commented Ā·
I see that Mopeka now have a top mounted TD40 tank sensor available in their shop, but it looks like it required a hole cut in the top of the tank to mount it.
1 Like 1 Ā·
jackandy avatar image jackandy paul-w commented Ā·

The TD40 has been there. Thats for large industrial tanks and bottles up to 16' deep. I'm looking for a Mopeka Pro Check water sensor. Should be less than half the price and be able to measure a small tank for a boat or RV.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
bluejeans avatar image
bluejeans answered Ā·

2.9 will not update on the RPi through the GUI? A new install is required?

1 comment
2 |3000

bluejeans avatar image bluejeans commented Ā·
Buller, Buller, Buller
0 Likes 0 Ā·
bluejeans avatar image
bluejeans answered Ā·

The black tank is full in the example shots. Does the black tank always show full on the mopeka sensors just like the factory sensors?!?!?

1 comment
2 |3000

cleaver avatar image cleaver commented Ā·
Don't bother with mopeka sensors on your black tank. As stuff settles it will cause your sensor to read instantly full. The solids will not allow sensor to read properly.

However it will read better than your factory sensors.

I used a Stainless Steel KUS sensor for my black/Grey tanks and they are working flawless.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Peter Chupity avatar image
Peter Chupity answered Ā·

Is the Mopeka Pro Plus compatible with Venus OS? I have an immediate use for a Pro and have one coming later this week, but the longer range of the Pro Plus would be welcome to monitor our guest house propane tank level.

2 |3000

petemallorca avatar image
petemallorca answered Ā·

Can this kit work with the Cerbo GX. I can't see the propane tank sensors in my Cerbo, I/O, Bluetooth Sensors".

ā€ŽAP Products 024-1000, Tank Check LP with Monitor Kit.

1672485204248.png

1672485204248.png (674.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented Ā·
No. Only the "pro" version will work.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
paul-2 avatar image
paul-2 answered Ā·

Has anyone been able to get a TD40 sensor from Mopeka working on the Cerbo/Node Red?

2 |3000

harold avatar image
harold answered Ā·
2 |3000

amr952 avatar image
amr952 answered Ā·

What about support for the Mopeka Pro Check Universal sensor? Seems like it is part of the pro line but does not seem to be supported.

https://www.mopekaiot.com/product/mopeka-pro-check-universal-aluminum-plastic-composite-and-poly-tanks

I also made this post about the "issue" - https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/223695/mopeka-pro-check-universal-cerbogx-support.html

2 |3000

ak68 avatar image
ak68 answered Ā·

The Pro Check-Universal is NOW working with the new Venus-OS update :)

The IDĀ“s are: 24+25, the Modbus adresses are: 3000-3005 (That works perfect with Homeassistant)

The Mopeka-Homeassistant-Bluetooth integration (V. 24.1 should do it) doesnĀ“t find the Mopeka-Universal-Pro

2 |3000

Related Resources