question

Steve Mullins avatar image
Steve Mullins asked

How do I add tank monitors to my Victron Color Controller?

I hav the Victron Color controller monitoring my Multiplus, BMV and Blue Solar controller in my RV. I would like to add tank monitoring through the color controller. Do I need to purchase a whole new tank monitor system, or is there a way to use the existing resistant based monitor wires? Is there any documentation or resources for adding tank monitors to the Victron Color Controller?

CCGX Color Controltank monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charles-riley avatar image charles-riley commented ·

I am using different types of Remote tank monitoring devices. But I think Level Pro Sentinel Remote tank monitoring device is the best device in the market. Know about this device you can visit Icon Process Controls website. You can also contact with them via phone: 905-469-9283 or email: sales@iconprocon.com.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
gs-nz avatar image
gs-nz answered ·

CCGX doesn't have resistive inputs, so these have to be converted to Ve.CAN using a device: https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-can-resistive-tank-sender-adapter

VenusGX does have these inputs, so these can be connected directly.

Hope that's helpful.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve Mullins avatar image Steve Mullins commented ·

Thanks, that does help. However it looks as if I would need one adapter for each tank. Since the Venus appears to support three tank inputs at almost the same price as the adapter, could I use a Venus to connect the tank sensors to then daisy chain to display the result in my Color Controller?

0 Likes 0 ·
gs-nz avatar image gs-nz Steve Mullins commented ·

I don't think Venus and CCGX can be "daisy-chained". I believe it's either or. CCGX however runs mainly on open-source software, so it's theoretically possible to hook up the sensors to say Arduino, and then send information to CCGX custom script to display on the dashboard. I haven't done it myself, but this is theoretically possible. Just throwing it into the mix - still, the easiest plug-and-play option is the rather expensive adapter....

2 Likes 2 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ gs-nz commented ·

Hi, nice idea! Venus GX and CCGx can be, sort ofC daisychained. Not easy, requires you to do software work, but should be possible:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/victron-dev-venus/9v8hCzsBmAo/UiSbhJbLBQAJ

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Mullins avatar image Steve Mullins mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the note. I don’t think I’m going to start work on the code just yet, however, I will be interested to hear what your future thoughts might be. I like having the interface of the CCGX, but I would really like to add tank sensors for my RV for all in one monitoring, and remote monitoring. Maybe I’ll just wait a year and see where Victron goes with this.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Steve Mullins commented ·

Yes, most probably waiting will help, a colleague from R&D pointed me to an improvement that’s coming that will also make them ‘daisy chain’ when it comes to tank inputs. Over the canbus.

0 Likes 0 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr commented ·

I just did some Googling and I cannot find the VE.Can tank sender adapter anywhere for much less than $400, and I'd need three of them to do all of my tanks.

Why are these so expensive? Is there a cheaper option? I also noticed that some models of the SeeLevel II tank monitors support "RV-C" which is a CAN Bus based communication protocol. Would the CCGX be able to read data from a RV-C network since it is CAN Bus based?

0 Likes 0 ·
irwinr avatar image irwinr mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the reply.

I would certainly consider waiting and buying the Venus GX if that was my only option. But that would require me to stick with "resistive" type tank monitors. (Which will require me to actually cut holes in my tanks to add them).

I understand if RV-C isn't working today but it is just CAN Bus and the CCGX already speaks CAN Bus. So implementing RV-C should be a simple software update to program the CCGX to decipher the specific CAN messages being sent by the SeeLevel. In general that seems like a much more obvious long term solution. RV-C is a pretty standard protocol in RVs and Victron equipment is used a lot in RVs so it seems like something Victron should at least consider supporting, especially since you already support CAN Bus. Or at least offer a way to add support for custom CAN bus messages in CCGX so we can DIY.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ irwinr commented ·

Hi Irwin, I noticed that you posted a new wuestion about this; good idea. Can you repost above answer/comment to me there? Then lets discuss there; thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
gs-nz avatar image
gs-nz answered ·

@stevemullins Just another idea... get Venus GX, an android stereo and forget about CCGX... See pic. (Speaking from experience - and reasonably happy with it).

rv-me.jpg (138.0 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Cool! So that FM radio on steroids had a browser?

Soon you’ll be able to run this then:

1 Like 1 ·
gs-nz avatar image gs-nz mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Yep, it's basically an Android tablet with extra buttons, an AM/FM radio, CD/DVD player and specific faceplate to fit my Transit. There's plenty of them on eBay. The current Victron Remote Console runs fine on them, perhaps a little sluggish compared to a real CCGX. The HTML5 version would definitely be more responsive - it really looks great! Looking forward to official announcement then ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Mullins avatar image Steve Mullins commented ·

I’m thinking of replacing the ccgx with the Venus. Just not sure I have to get the stereo as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
gs-nz avatar image gs-nz Steve Mullins commented ·

A smartphone or tablet will work too. I'm using the stereo as my main "monitor", but when I want to check it, say from the bed, I could use smartphone or a windows laptop, or if I'm away there's VRM (app for smartphones and website for desktop). I really don't miss the screen of the CCGX.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Does the head unit talk to the VGX over WiFi?

1 comment
2 |3000

gs-nz avatar image gs-nz commented ·

Yes. VGX <----> WiFi access point/modem/router <----> head unit.

I'm just working on the HTML5 app version of the same thing - I think that might be better to display all the RV stuff on one screen... We will see.

1 Like 1 ·
brinx38 avatar image
brinx38 answered ·
2 |3000

Fuso avatar image
Fuso answered ·

Yes the tank 140 will work on the CCGX once it is updated to version 2.89.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

GX Tank 140 product page

Connecting tank monitoring to Cerbo GX