question

sean-cattee avatar image
sean-cattee asked

Inverter/Charger connectivity with bluetooth?

I'm very much new to Victron and this type of equipment so I was hoping anyone could clarify some queries I have.

Is it possible to connect a non-smart inverter to a smart charger (e.g Phoenix 12/1200 Inverter + Blue Smart IP22 12/30A Charger) and gain inverter information via some kind of passthrough?

I was rather hopeful I could do this via VEDirect? I saw a VEDirect -> Bluetooth module exists but it seems somewhat wasteful when the charger has a bluetooth module already.

Thanks!

Phoenix InverterBluetoothbluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This would not work.
The VE.Direct connection on the inverters and chargers is intended to provide information to a gateway device like a GX device of some sort or for configuration using a computer or smart telephone / tablet. VE.Direct is not for chaining one device to another, the devices don't exchange data between themselves.
Also, the Bluetooth device within (the charger in this example) cannot act as a hub or broker for other devices. Each device needs to have its own Bluetooth interface and if one is not built in, then a VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle would be required. This would then allow VictronConnect over Bluetooth for configuration and basic monitoring. A Phoenix Inverter does not support VE.Smart networking.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.