question

odan avatar image
odan asked

Configuring Setpoint on Multiplus II via MK3-USB

I am using a Raspberry Pi setup to connect via MK3-USB to my MulitPlus II.

Now I am looking for a possibility to configure the AC power setpoint via software.

Is there a solution with Venus OS or by direct serial commands as described here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3#using_the_mk3_directly_instead_of_via_gx_device

Or do I really need to buy the CCGX or Venus GX, and if yes, what is it, that makes the functional difference? My Raspberry can already collect all required data (energy meter, battery state).

When reading the RAM IDs from the MultiPlus, no HUB4 Assistant register (i.e. ID=3) is found.

Multiplus-IIRaspberry PiMK3
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Is there a reason you don't want to run the full venus OS on your PI?

The post is a little confusing and the setup sounds complex.

To be clear, you are referring to the ESS grid setpoint?

0 Likes 0 ·
odan avatar image odan nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, I mean the ESS grid setpoint (or some other functionality making the MPII outputting power to its AC-IN (grid) connection).

There is no reason for a specific venus OS - I thought, I would already have the "full venus OS", but I do not know, how to find out. I am using the image "venus-image-raspberrypi2-20220715122828-v2.89.rootfs.wic.gz".

In the settings I am not able to activate ESS and also do not see any "HUB4".

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ odan commented ·
Have you loaded the assistant on the multi? Once thats done you can edit the setpoint via the console and then modbus. You can load the large os image and use node red also, for automation via the ess control node.
0 Likes 0 ·

How can I load the assistant on the multi? If this is done with the separate VEconfigure: Is there a option for doing this with Linux, or does the large image solve this?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ odan commented ·
Needs to be done from a windows system. You can remotely download the config via venus OS and VRM, and edit it on any windows host with veconfigure.
0 Likes 0 ·
Many thanks, I will try that tomorrow.
0 Likes 0 ·
I have the MultiPlus now configured with ESS and changed the settings to different setpoints, but it never started to feed in.

What else do I need to configure?

When switching the MultiPlus to "On" or "Inverter only" using the Venus settings, it switches to "Charger only" after a few seconds. So I tried "Inverter only", but still there is no grid feed-in. The "ESS relay test" is mostly "pending".

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ odan commented ·
Under the ESS menu on the GX you need to enable feed in from your DC PV.
0 Likes 0 ·
odan avatar image odan Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks, I figured out the solution (and thought I would have posted the answer already, but obviously it was not sent off):

I had the hardware switch on position I - it must be II for the grid feed in.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers