question

joeccv avatar image
joeccv asked

VictronConnect mandatory Firmware Update Suggestion

Recently I had to deal with a few clients who updated their firmware and now were getting incorrect SoC on their BMV 712, which caused a bunch of issues. I have since updated my follow up info to include statements about saving settings in the case where something causes them to change.

This thread is more of a suggestion for Victron than a question. When the mandatory firmware update message is displayed in the app, it should state that the settings will be changed back to factory settings, and will need to be updated.

Furthermore, the firmware update should just update the settings automatically. These are supposed to be the best units on the market. In many cases they are being installed by a professional for a client who lacks understanding of anything past what the SoC % means. And more commonly nowadays they are being installed in systems with LiFePO4 batteries where there is a great reliance on the electrical system for the main components to operate properly. Factory settings are not even close to correct for these systems and the updates leave the person with a SoC reading that is far from correct.

Please address!

VictronConnectfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I recently used VRM to upgrade my Quattro from 430 to 497. I was too paranoid to do it remotely, but it worked great. It exported my existing settings, merged the new settings associated with the new version and uploaded.

It would seem a similar theory of operation would work well with VC firmware updates.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @JoeCCV,

A firmware update on the BMVs, SmartShunts, and Solar Chargers including the Blue Solar chargers will not lose any settings by design.

I just did a screen recording of the procedure here to demonstrate a firmware update, and the settings remaining the same before and after;

Firmware update of SmartShunt.mp4

If you can reproduce the settings being lost, could you please do a screen recording and post it here and we might be able to see what is causing it?

Generally speaking there has also been a long effort to reduce, and hopefully eliminate the requirement of mandatory firmware updates all together. So systems that are working well will not be required to do an update if they don't want to.

screenflow.mp4 (37.0 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

joeccv avatar image joeccv commented ·

I just updated a BMV 712 in the shop two days ago and the charged voltage setting needed to be reconfigured after the firmware update took place. I'm not sure how I can capture this since the update is already complete, but I can confirm it did in fact happen.

0 Likes 0 ·