question

martin-liska avatar image
martin-liska asked

VictronConnect and VeFlash does not find Multiplus on MK3 usb dongle

Hello Forum !
I do have an issue with updating firmware on Multiplus-2 device using the MK3 USDB-to-VeBus dongle.
Neither VeFlash nor VictronConnect apps 'find' any device connected to the 'other' side of that unshielded-factory made RJ-45 cable 'behind' the USB-to-VeBus adaptor.
The PC is a Win7 machine with SP1, the Multiplus is a 48/3000/35-32 230V, just purchased, SN HQ2207FYF69V.
When using the VeConfigure program on that same PC, same same cable, all works fine
(i.e. i can 'get' and 'send' the config for that multiplus without issues).
all the programs (VeFlash, VeConfigure, VictronConnect) are on the latest downloadable version ...

That exact same thing happens with my 'old' (2017) Multiplus built into the 'EasySolar' box.
VeConfigure is ok, neither VeFalsh nor VictronConnect 'finds' that device.

If there is anyone out there who could point me to some more in-depth troubleshooting steps
(logfiles of VeFlash or VictronConnect ? - those glorious completely useless errormessages starting with 'unable' or 'failed' are not helping at all ...) or has another idea howto upgrade firmware on the Multiplus-es - much appreciated !

thanks a lot ,
Martin

Multiplus-IIVictronConnectVE.Bus
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Martin Liskadoyyou k ow what firmware you are using currently?

Any access to VRM?

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-liska avatar image martin-liska Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hello Alexandra !

The older multiplus has Version 2620408 with MK3 Version 1170212and the newer machine is 2629492

VeConfigure version is 90.04.230, VeFlash 90.05.159, VictronConnect is v5.72,
CCGX version 2.89 , build date 20220715132032

While i was able to update the BMV700 and both MPPT chargers as well as the ColorControl,
the 2620 Multiplus displays "Not updatable (1342 )" on the VRM portal.

When i try to connect the new Multiplus to the Ve.Bus (with another factory-made, unshielded
RJ-45 ehternet cable), the Bus goes to Error 17 and Error 3 .
I also connected the new Multiplus to the ColorControl using the MK3-to-USB dongle, but the
ColorControl did not recognize that device there (USB on the CCGX is working ok, since the
MPPT150/45rev3 device's Ve.Direct plug is connected to CCGX using Ve.Direct-to-USB adapter).

Concluding: VeFlash and VictronConnect do have an issue finding devices using the MK3-to-USB adapter, and VictronConnect does not find any device (neither in 'Local' nor in 'VRM' mode, where i would suggest VictronConnect programmers to allow setting the VRM portal access parameters inside the application instead of redirecting to the browser ... )

hope, this helps - thanks & happy Wednesday !

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ martin-liska commented ·
@Martin Liska

The inky thing I can think of here is the driver is not working for the Mk3.

Have you tried downloading the driver from the software page?

And then not using the autodetect for the com port. I kind of remember i had an issue with windows 7 and the port detection but it has been a while and have forgotten how to sort it. There was something along the lines of go in ng into device manager and seeing what comm it was using and manually setting it from there.

The inverter on 2629492 should update over the VRM. The newest firmware there is 2629497 so not far away from the latest. It should update over the VRM

Is the colour control one of the older ones listed as not being able to update connected devices over VRM?

See limitations here.

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-liska avatar image martin-liska Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hello Alexandra !

Thanks for pointing me to the driver - although it wasn't that, i have setup a new WIn7 system from scratch and voi'la - the VeFlash program detected the older Multiplus and was able to upgrade to the newer Firmware.
Note that the USB adapter itself was well-known to the operating system as COM port using a FTDI serial-to-USB driver (and it also worked with Ve.Configure) - seems as if Ve.Flash requires some additional driver features than Ve.Configure.
The MP-2 device (the newer Multiplus), once conncted to the CCGX (while disconnecting the older MP), got recognized and indeed updated its Firmware through the VRM online portal.
VictronConnect still does not see anything. Neither old nor new. (And i still cannot find the setting, where i can select the COM port ...)
Anyway, i now got all the components at the newest firmware.

While reading through quite a lot of Victron articles and documents, i am still not clear about the Ve.Bus behaviour when trying to connect both multipluses to the VE.bus. The CCGX still shows Errors 17 and 3 as soon as i connect a 2nd Multiplus.

Do i understand this correctly, that i will have to first configure the 2 MPs separately to run as 'parallel' , even if i do not intend to use them with their AC outs connected to each other ? In other words, if i want to control / monitor more than one Multiplus with a single CCGX, the MPs must be run in parallel (or 3-phase) configuration mode ?
(I am running a semi-island setup, where the AC loads are switched from grid to the Multis one-by-one using a raspberry and a bunch of relays. Unless there is a long period of insufficient solar power to recharge the batteries, none of the Multiplus receives power from grid - i.e. AC-in is only connected to grid when batteries need to be recharged because of no sun for some time)

again, thanks for your quick reply !

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

a mk3 IS JUST FOR PROGRAMING THE Multiplus units, it does not connect to the VRM nor the Victron connect directly.

Make sure that you are selecting a com port to connect the mk3 too you select this in VE Configure Program and the VE-flash program, you may have to do a manual comport selection. or look up the created com port thats alocated by the computer when you plug the usb into it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

martin-liska avatar image martin-liska commented ·
Thanks, Paul - this is acknowledged - it was a trial to check, what happens.

for VeFlash, i am able to select the ComPort, for VictronConnect, i did not 'see' the option where to select a specific ComPort - the app seems to try and find the port itself ?

To repeat my question: is there some 'verbose' switch or logging option to get more details on what the app is trying to do and where and why excatly it fails ?

best regards, Martin

0 Likes 0 ·