2. 8 230ah 24v house batteries

3. 2 230ah starter batteries

4. 4 230ah thruster batteries

5. 5 solar panels with moot controller

6. 22.5kw Onan

7. 13.5kw Onan

8. 50AMP Shorepower

9. 5 single phase chillers

I want to retire the boat so that everything is on inverters and generators and shore power will be used for charging only. Any recommendations on how to do this? I can multiple methods But would like some advice. I must also mention I have international cruising aspirations so wide ranges of voltage input should be considered. I also want to charge as fast as possible. Engine alternators are also NOT charging house bank but I think they should. Goal is as little generator time as possible.

Ryan

Multiplus-IIchargermultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@Ryan Leestma …. Solar is very effective. Depends upon the boat. We have a sailing yacht and can live aboard with only solar. Your boat seems much larger than ours so perhaps you could share is she a sailing vessel or power vessel and what size? Twin engine or single?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ryan-leestma avatar image
ryan-leestma answered ·

Power vessel - 70’ twin 305hp Cummins - slow boat full displacement at 8 knots

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

I would think about LiFePO4 batteries with this setup.

We live on a 40ft sailing catamaran, we are confortable with 1650Wp of solar and 1000Ah of LFP batteries 12V system (15kWh usable), 2 small start batteries for the engines and the Onan generator (7kW). One Quattro 5000, a backup Mastervolt 2000 inverter, that can juice up the Quattro to 7kVA if needed.

I consider this as the minimal setup for living offgrid most of the time, but being able to recharge quickly (within 3h) when necessary. We ditched propane, we use residential appliances (4 burner induction hob, residential oven, residential deep freezer, all the normal appliances), of course watermaker and washing machine...

We do have 4 AC units too, but rarely use them, as we do not motor a lot - we use our sails a lot and they shade the panels under way - we are happy to have the generator. You having almost 4 times the size and a lot of chillers may need 4 times the capacity.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Thanks… thats a big one.

For fast charging upgrade house bank to lithium. Could change start and thruster to lithium also if you wish.

Large alternator with external regulator on both engines to charge house bank.

Start banks charged off house bank with Dc-Dc charger.

I guess chillers means AC units. They are probably large units(24,000BTU) so may be too much for inverters because of inrush current.

Plenty of solar is a nice way to not run generator but with that much Ac if it is to be used you have no choice. Could just decide on one or two to be run off inverters.

If they were Quattros it would be easy to start generator and seamlessly transition to generator when batteries are low. Multiplus will require external switching for that function.

Plenty of choices to be made with your project. Good luck with it.

2 |3000

ryan-leestma avatar image
ryan-leestma answered ·

I was headed your way, two Quattros with two HO engine alternators. I like going house to starter w relay, smart. The big chiller is 24000 btus, others are 6-12k. Would I be ok w two 8k Quattros?

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

24,000 BTU is too much for 5kva Quattro. 8kva should be ok but I have not actually tried it so cannot 100% confirm. The smaller AC units will be fine. If the 2 x 8k Quattros are in parallel it will be fine but not sure if you will run them parallel or separate. With two gen sets I can see advantages either way.

2 |3000