question

jamesstubberfield avatar image
jamesstubberfield asked

Faulty Cerbo GX devices

Faulty Cerbo GX devices

Is anyone aware of a manufacturing defect affecting a recent batch of Cerbo GX devices, especially when used on 48V systems?

We have 2 separate customers, who have both reported 2 failures each, of Cerbo GX units when attempting to power them up from the 48V DC bus. The inline fuses remain intact, and the polarity is correct. One user reported hearing a 'pop' from the upper right corner of the unit, when they connected the power lead.

Ideas?

cerbo gxfault
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jasbir Rathor avatar image Jasbir Rathor commented ·
While checking my 48 volts system ,I was checking only DC part of my of system . When I powered up the DC part BMV 712 smart shunt and GlobalLink 520 had no problem powering up but Cerbo GX did not power up. I have informed the supplier and waiting for the update.
0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Dear all, yes there is a known issue on it. To keep it brief: currently we’re working (hard!) on a solution. Far not all 48V systems are affected; more news next week.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) given that I've purchased one recently, how do I find out if that is one with the fault? Using it with 12V but if it's out of spec, I'd like to know.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Juha Tuomala commented ·
@Juha Tuomala

If you would like this answered quickly contact the seller/distributor you purchased from.

0 Likes 0 ·
jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

it append to me 1 week ago with a Cerbo that was powered up for less than 2 weeks (SN:HQ2214....)

2 |3000

scraggs avatar image
scraggs answered ·

I had similar the end of last year, a loud pop that appeared to come from the opposite end to the power inlet, it had been running fine for a week or so.
Out of interest was this running Wifi or via ethernet cable ?

1 comment
2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image jeanmarie commented ·
for me it was with both links, but ethernet provided by a wifi bridge powered on the same source than the Cerbo
0 Likes 0 ·
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

same here ... we have also 2 customers with 48 Volt setups and "popped" cerbos. Polarity was also correct.

Jens

2 |3000

Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

I have 48v system but i put it into 12v supply and it works.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Just requires a 100uF 100V low ESR cap across the cerbo's power connector to prevent the issue.

If it hasn't popped already, the probability is low for a recurrence.

1 Like 1 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Victron should have its serial since it's connected to VRM and my contact information. I assume that they do something about it if its defected.
0 Likes 0 ·
christian-cavallin avatar image
christian-cavallin answered ·

Same here. For weeks on 12V perfect. Rebuild to 48V kills the Cerbo.

S/N: HQ2201MTP**

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Christian_Cavallin

It will be replaced. Just send it in for RMA.

0 Likes 0 ·
baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

marconi avatar image marconi commented ·
So why does Victron not react properly and still sells faulty ones? My Cerbo is defect after a reset and I desperately need immediate replacement!!! How can a developement team not see that a Diode and electrolyticCapacitor on the PSU input are missing??? (Lesson No.1 in electronics) Another issue is the missing 5VDC/DC inside the LYNX just to see the LEDs and where is a straight communication Bus to monitor the fuses - very strange! Please victron offer a proper solution to all the "victims"... imagine you´re on a ship somewhere on the ocean losing power!?... no communication and navigation - this could be very dangerous and maybe even deadly!!!
0 Likes 0 ·
obyhun avatar image
obyhun answered ·

The seller I purchased from proposed to replace my Cerbo, it will take over 2 months. I cannot wait and decided to buy a new one. They just received a new batch of Cerbos, all SN starting from HQ2219xxxxx. Looks like they (Victron) are still pushing these faulty devices to the customers knowing they're faulty.

2 comments
2 |3000

chergyro avatar image chergyro commented ·
Any official news on this @mvader (Victron Energy)? I've got a faulty one too and would like to get replaced it...
1 Like 1 ·
jeanmarie avatar image jeanmarie commented ·
They are faulty, yes but look at the thread : they provided the solution to avoid damaging those units: just either add a capacitor, as suggested, or power it on 12V and you'll be able to enjoy your Cerbo for years.

Or you can ask for a replacement but this will take time during which you won't be able to have this CerboGX available.

Up to you....

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Cerbo GX product page

GX family product range

Cerbo GX & GX Touch datasheet

Cerbo GX Manual

Venus root access document

Faults with Victron equipment are best discussed directly with your dealer - this can be formalised with this support request form.