question

wandering-bison avatar image
wandering-bison asked

GPS data over IP to Venus GX

I’m trying to find a solution to this again - I know that the recent firmware upgrades have enabled GPS location over NMEA and wondering if that means I could now retrieve my GPS location from my Pepwave router. It publishes the location data in NMEA format over TCP.

Is there a way to do this?

I’ve seen a few posts that seem to indicate that it is now with NMEA support but can’t seem to find the HOW.

Any help would be appreciated!

Venus OSNMEA 2000 - N2Kgps
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Moved to modifications space
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

The u-blox gps mouse on usb uses too a nmea protocol when it communicates with the VenusOS. you may need to write a device driver for your idea, as the Venus doesn't expect n2k on TCP. or UDP..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

I do this using NMEA data from my Teltonika router. No special driver, just used the SOCAT command. Details here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/17470/venus-gx-to-pull-gps-coordinates-from-onboard-rout.html

1 comment
2 |3000

wandering-bison avatar image wandering-bison commented ·
Thanks - I will look into that. Appreciate your time.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic