question

rolandka avatar image

Venus GX to pull GPS coordinates from onboard router (Teltonika RUT955)?

I have a Venus GX and a Teltonika RUT955 router installed in my motorhome. The router has a separate GPS antenna and aware of the current location. I was wondering if there is any way to transfer this to the Venus GX device and then to the VRM portal?

The router has RS232 and RS485 ports, it also supports Modbus TCP. It is highly customisable so I was wondering if there is any way VGX can receive it? Which would be the easiest way?

Venus GX - VGXVenus OSModbus TCPrs485
3 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

That sounds interesting. It's probably possible with some customization of the VenusOS.
I'm going to move this question to the "Modofications" section where these type of questions are better suited.

Thanks. As soon as my build is finished I will look into this in detail. Currently is at the very bottom of the priority list. I just thought I throw the question here and there might be someone had already figured out a solution to it.

I might ask why, depending on how you value your time? I have a Raspberry pi 3B+ and plugged in a £16 GPS USB device it worked first time without any issue, which included data being shared with the VRM portal.

If the use case is to play with the technology then I’m pretty certain it could be done. I can confirm that if no GPS device is found then there is no GPS data on the dbus so you could probably publish your own data without conflict.

4 Answers
bradfordharley avatar image
bradfordharley answered ·

I'm also interested. We are on a sailboat, and while it's easy to add a GPS device, we already have 4 GPS sources available over IP or NMEA. It would be great to be able to have venus subscribe to a tcp stream, signalk or something similar.

1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @bradfordharley, support for NMEA2000 GPS is available in the v2.60 beta series. And will become officially available once we finish v2.60 development and testing.

Ralf Klüber avatar image
Ralf Klüber answered ·

Hello,

I have a similar setup (Venus GX and RUT955). I would like to understand whats the best way to get GPS data from RUT955 to Venus GX. Any hint appretiated.

Regards Ralf

1 comment Share

The description of the protocoll used from the RUT955 can be found here:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT850_GPS_protocols

teejmiller avatar image
teejmiller answered ·

I am also interested to see if anyone has been able to configure an IP based NMEA device! I have a Verizon MiFi 7730L which also sends raw NMEA text data over port 11010. When using telnet to this port, I am able to see the raw NMEA data. I have been able to use socat to manipulate the stream as an attached device, but I am without a clue on how the Venus system understands a GPS device is connected. If there was a way to just input the IP and Port settings that would be a very cool feature! For now, I'll keep poking around with socat and try to learn more about how Venus detects and parses GPS data.

Marc Elvery avatar image
Marc Elvery answered ·

If we could select USB or Network and if network was chosen then enter an IP/hostname, port number (default 10110?) and type (tcp/udp) and just use NMEA as source, that should not be to hard to implement I would guess. Would be a nice addition. Source could then be a ShipModul Miniplex for example.

If I look at the Teltonika wiki, it can send the GPS data to a server but not function as a server itself (or I'm misreading). Then we would need gpsd inside venusos

https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/GPS

5 comments Share

I don't think it can function as a server, I might shoot that question at their forum. I was wondering if there is any way to communicate with the VRM online portal? (in case it is too difficult to send it to VenusOS we could try sending it to VRM straight)

I know it has an API but that is only for reading out values as far as I can see. https://vrmapi.victronenergy.com/v2/docs

Hello all, making a non Victron product send gps data straight to our vrm portal would be rather complex for anyone to achieve.

and adding support to receive GPS data over IP, in NMEA or other format to Venus OS is a feature thats surely possible but from Victron side its not worth the effort. We already offer enough options now that besides USB-GPS-es, also NMEA2000 types will work.

Doesnt mean someone could do that himself though: all tools and necessary information is available publicly.

bradfordharley avatar image bradfordharley mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ·

MVader---I understant completely!

Community--So, I have been looking at the system as I'm relatively new to venus. It appears that modbus tcp has entries for the GPS. I'll examine it when I get to the boat this afternoon, but before I dig too deeply, has anyone tried to insert data into modbus for the GPS? I found a plugin for node-red that claims to be able to write to modbus-tcp, and I'll look into that as well. Just wondering if there is any experience out there....
Brad

Hi, let me put on my community hat for a second:

writing to the gps with modbustcp is (probably) possible, but only if you first run a “dummy” service on Venus to create a dbus service and required paths for a gps.

See our github, and then velib_python, it will have some dummy service code.

And see here:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus

this wont be something you pull off in a few hours. One thing you could do to work on this at home is get a raspberrypi:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

Btw we’re also working on a project that involves node-red:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:extended

bradfordharley avatar image bradfordharley mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ·

Thanks for the pointers! If I get it working, I'll post back.