question

Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt asked

Lynx Ion BMS Standard vs Performance Modes

Would like details on the differences between these two modes. Apparently Standard mode limits DOD to 50%, what does Performance mode do?

Thanks,

Pat

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wilcop85 avatar image
wilcop85 answered ·

@Pat Davitt When system is running with latest software release V1.16:
- default mode: 75% DOD, battery fans are enabled above 30 degree Celsius.
- Performance mode: 90% DOD, battery fans are enabled above 35 degree Celcius.
(battery fans are also enabled if inside plus(fuse) busbar temperature is above 52 degree Celcuis)
Note: with latest software release also SOC is automaticlly adjusted, so in default or performance mode the battery can be discharged until 0% SOC.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt commented ·

Thanks for the information. Just for fun I changed the setting to Performance mode and the SOC read 81%. When I changed it back to Default mode the SOC dropped to 75%. Looks like Performance mode primarily changes the DOD setting for the SOC calculation.

My assumption is that the different modes do not change the "allow to charge" and "allow to discharge" functions of the BMS.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks also. I was told Performance was 100% but seems more like 90 going by Ah consumed. Have now left mine in Performance so the extra Ah is there if needed over Default. I also understand if it is used that cycle life will naturally reduce from that quoted in the HE datasheet. Does Performance mode alter the charge voltage?

I now have latest software so will check and see if I have the full 100% or rather 5kWh available from my 200 Ah HE.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Think I've got the BMS reported SOC behavior for the two modes figured out. The BMS reported SOC is not based on a 0-100% actual SOC but instead on 20-100% for the Default mode. So, when in the default mode, a reported SOC of 0% is actually 20%. In the Performance mode a reported SOC of 0% is actually 10%

Does that make sense?

Pat

11 comments
2 |3000

John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

So are you saying if a 200Ah HE then Default you should have 40Ah remaining at 20% SOC of actual stored energy and Performance 20Ah at 10% SOC of stored giving 4kWh useable in Default and 4.5kWh useable in Performance? And the SOC shown is therefore based on the useable energy subject to mode selected. That makes sense to me.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Normally with Li-ion batteries you don't use the top xx% to have a longer battery life, (this is different for LiFePO4). so it's likely you can charge to a higher voltage in this performance mode.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt boekel ♦ commented ·

I don't think so. I charged my HE batteries in Performance mode and the constant amperage (Bulk) and constant voltage (Absorb) voltages were identical to charging in Default mode. I believe the two modes act more on the discharge side.

Unlike voltage and amperage, SOC is a mathematical estimate of the usable power remaining in the battery. My understanding is that the default mode is designed to conform to the published cycle life which is based on an 80% DOD.

Remember we are not dealing with hard facts here, only with observed behavior. We don't really know for sure.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
wilcop85 avatar image wilcop85 commented ·

In default mode the charged voltage is 28.0V (highest cell voltage 4.00V)
In performance mode the charged voltage is 29.05V (highest cell voltage 4.15V)

The discharged voltage is in both modes 21.0V (lowest cell voltage 3.00)

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ wilcop85 commented ·

Thanks. I noticed it was marginally higher but wondered if that was to do with temperature, so I wasn't sure in fact if there even was a voltage difference between default and performance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt wilcop85 commented ·

I'm not disputing your information. I am curious where you obtained it. Is there a document that goes into more detail about the HE Batteries and the Lynx Ion BMS?

If so, can you post a link. I just noticed you work for MG Systems, so I know, you know what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ Pat Davitt commented ·

Because this chap seems to be one of the programmers, so for me it’s come from the horse’s mouth. https://community.victronenergy.com/users/2713/wilcop85.html

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Yep, he is the real deal. Note the definitive answer to my post on a Lynx Ion BMS firmware update problem.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/15681/firmware-update-lynx-ion-bms-an-he-batteries.html

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·

I saw that. For info here’s my max voltage in Performance at 100% SOC

0 Likes 0 ·
wilcop85 avatar image wilcop85 Pat Davitt commented ·

It is on the wishlist to add more information about this performance mode in the manual. The next release I have added some more information in the tooltip when you are hovering with the mouse over the options.

0 Likes 0 ·
knipsel.jpg (21.9 KiB)

@Pat Davitt @Wilcop85 I just switched back to Default mode as I’ve realised I have enough useable energy with that 75%, rather than the 90% with Performance, of the stored energy. I don’t know the expected cycle life at those percentages?

Although the Victron datasheet quotes 2,000 cycles @ 0.3C to 80% DOD ref:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Lithium-ion-HE-Battery-and-Lynx-Ion-BMS-EN.pdf

Just curious and in fact I don’t even use 0.3C (60A) discharge, so my 200Ah NMC HE will probably outlast me!

0 Likes 0 ·