question

kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh asked

VictronConnect v5.70 Update Quitting Unexpectedly With Monterey 12.4

Updated to VictronConnect v5.70 through App Store on my MacBook Pro. V5.70 is quitting unexpectedly since doing update.

Deleted V5.70 with AppCleaner & Uninstaller, removed Bluetooth settings and rebooted MBP and reinstalled VictronConnect v5.70 through App Store.

Same issue - VictronConnect quitting unexpectedly.

VictronConnectbug reportmacOS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

VictronConnect v5.70 appears to be working OK on my iPad and iPhone. MacOS is a problem - sometimes bombs out when opening a device, but always bombs out when you try to quit VictronConnect. Never had a problem prior to the V5.70 update.

My devices are BMV-712 Smart, MPPT VE.Can 250/100, and Color Control GX.

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: UNKNOWN_0xD at 0x0000000000000000

Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000d, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11

Terminating Process: exc handler [766]

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I've reported this for you.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Intel or apple silicon?

Are you running any endpoint protection?

On a different note, VC still seems to be ok on mac os 13.

2 |3000

kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

500GB SSD

MacOS Monterey V12.4

Don't know what Endpoint Protection is, so guess I am not running any.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Try creating a service report right after it crashed.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/troubleshooting.html#UUID-98bc9211-902b-01a0-96b9-1f314c4d63c5

Add the report as .txt here.

2 |3000

kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

2 |3000

kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

VictronConnect v5.71 also crashing with same issue

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

5.71 was just a quick fix due to problems with the new FW for the Smart Lithium Batteries.

For 5.72 is something planned for Mac OS:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

Feel free to join the Beta test and report back.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

And no change with MacOS 14.5 Update - VictronConnect V5.7.1 still crashing on shutdown

2 |3000

kevinvh avatar image
kevinvh answered ·

Hi Matthias, I joined the beta test with Test Flight. Test Flight says that "VictronConnect can only be tested on an iOS device". How can I test it with my MBP?

7 comments
2 |3000

Hi @kevinvh

You can download a .dmg containing VictronConnect from this website: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

v5.72beta1 should contain a fix for the crash on macOS. 5.72beta2 does not contain this fix.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinvh avatar image kevinvh Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

I did that, but Test Flight says "VictronConnect can only be tested on an iOS device".

If you try to run it direct, then I get “VictronConnect.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ kevinvh commented ·
Hi @kevinvh

Unfortunately, you will indeed get a warning about the check for malicious software when running the downloaded beta. When this message is given, you can close the message and then go to the macOS Settings -> Security & Privacy -> General. In the bottom part of the screen, it should show a button "open anyway". When you press this, it will start VictronConnect.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinvh avatar image kevinvh Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Thanks Thiemo. VictronConnect V5.72 Beta1 fixed my issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinvh avatar image kevinvh kevinvh commented ·

Now another issue has appeared. I can no longer see my MPPT 250/100-Tr VE.Can on VictronConnect V5.71 or V5.72 Beta1 for MacOS. VictronConnect on my iPad and on my iPhone see the MPPT OK. The iPhone and iPad ore logged out when I check with VictronConnect for Mac.

I have deleted the Bluetooth settings and restarted VictronConnect. It sees the BMV-712 Smart device and the Color Control GX device, but the MPPT went missing this morning.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ kevinvh commented ·

Hi @kevinvh

No idea how it can happen that the MPPT is visible on the ipad and iphone, but not on macOS. Can you perhaps create a service report on the mac and attach that to a reply here?

The procedure for the service report is described here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks Thiemo. I spent last night making sure that all of my devices were updated to the latest firmware. Needed to update my Quattro's and Color Control GX device. After rebooting everything, all is now back to normal with my Mac, iPhone and iPad.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic