question

info-8 avatar image
info-8 asked

Voltage sense error and nightly charging in a camper van

screenshot-20220709-120831.pngLooking for some help with my buddy's setup in a Ford Transit camper van that I put together and installed.

We literally finished the day we left for the trip with our families in our vans so there was almost no time for testing and now we have some details to figure out.

We've been on a road for few days and he's reporting some issues with charging on shore power and there's some other issues with voltage sense.

Setup:

Cerbo GX and display

Victron MultiPlus 3K inverter charger connected to Cerbo with a Victron LAN cable

800ah of Renogy lithium

500A Victron shunt connected to Cerbo with VE. Direct cable and also talking to the inverter thru the local wireless network

Software is up to date and firmwares are updated.

First thing I noticed is that Cerbo does not see the state of charge

Cerbo shows "Voltage Sense error"

Second issue is that MultiPlus won't maintain batteries at full charge when plugged in to shore power while load is applied

Let's say he starts with a full charge (alternator charge) and we pull into the camp ground.

He has a DC AirCon that draws 40A

He goes to sleep while plugged in to shore.

Batteries are not charging because they are full so MP shows float but he's pulling let's say 50A for for all of his loads and he wakes up 8 hrs later with his batteries at 75% all while plugged in to the shore power.

How do I use MultiPlus for power supply instead of batteries???

What causes that voltage sense error?

battery chargingSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
info-8 avatar image
info-8 answered ·

My shunt settings

screenshot-20220709-120831.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

info-8 avatar image
info-8 answered ·

State of charge ????screenshot-20220709-122006.png

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

500A Victron shunt connected to Cerbo with VE. Direct cable and also talking to the inverter thru the local wireless network

What do you mean by the second part?

Is the SmartShunt set as the Battery Monitor in Cerbo GX?

If the SOC did not reach 100% since the system was completed, I think that SOC -- is normal.

DVCC is enabled?

He has a DC AirCon that draws 40A

Is this wired correctly (relative to the SmartShunt)?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Discharge floor should be about 20%, but this isn't the problem.

State of charge in shunt settings is not a reading, it's a start value to set manually.

SOC will only show a value after it's reached 100%, there's no charging input to the batteries and there's load on them.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual