question

pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa asked

EM540 grid meter?

Hello,

i read some about the new EM540 grid meter. This should be supported by newst Victron Software.

And also it should be a improvement against EM24, for example because of faster Modbus Update rate.

It seems, that only 2 versions of this meter are supported:

• EM540DINAV23XS1PFC
  • EM540DINAV23XS1X

Does anyone know the difference?

Are there any downsides in using this new meter?

I ask, because my plan was to install the EM24 RS485 next week. But if the EM540 is much better, i will switch to the new meter before installing.

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

i now found different infos?!

Both seem to be 3phase, isnt it?

the S1X version is:

- Modbus RTU

- non MID certified

- three different types of phase sum calculation selectable

the S1PFC is:

- Modbus RTU

- MID certified

- all phase are calculated summed up any time, like on EM24

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·

Who those who wonder what MID certified is, it's apparently EU-directive about Measuring instruments (MID)

https://single-market-economy.ec.europa.eu/single-market/european-standards/harmonised-standards/measuring-instruments-mid_en

1 Like 1 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·

https://www.gavazzionline.com/em127.htm

https://www.mouser.ee/new/carlo-gavazzi/carlo-gavazzi-em5x0-energy-analyzers/

Now they have more information about it. Looks like there is no Ethernet Modbus TCP version available like there was EM24 model. Maybe it's coming. But it sure does look more modern version. @Pedaaa

Edit: However it does have M-Bus connection which is something that EM24 did not have. And RS485 Modbus RTU of course.

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

OK, i just ordered a EM540DINAV23XS1X.

(the EM540DINAV23XS1PFC - MID version seems nowhere available)

and sold my EM24.

Hope it was the right decision, and EM540 really works better and has no new unkown issues ;)

It will be installed in ~2 weeks. If anybody has some questions then, just let me know

2 |3000

pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff):

do you know the required settings for the EM540?

or should everything stay at default?!

Default values are:

RS485 Address: 1

RS485 Parity: no

RS485 Baudrate: 9.6 kbps

Stop bit: 1

21 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Pedaaa

I don't think you have to change anything, but you do need a release candidate of VenusOS to make it work,

supported meters:

EM530DINAV53XS1X
EM530DINAV53XS1PFC
EM540DINAV23XS1X
EM540DINAV23XS1PFC

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/140258/venus-os-v29014-available-for-testing.html

1 Like 1 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ,

today we installed the EM540 (EM540DINAV23XS1X). I am using the original Victron RS485 to USB Adapter cable. Shortened it to apprx. 15-20cm, and then extended it with a ~90-100m EIB cable to the EM540.

At first, Cerbo did not recognized it at all?!

Also the original Carlo Gavazzi UCS software did not recognized it.

then i removed the 120Ohm resistors at both cable ends

-> it now did show up in UCS software

-> but Cerbo still does not see it.

Then i found, in some Forum entries that other users had similar connection issues with the RS485-USB adapter. the solution was to "rename" the Adapter with the FDTI SW MProg to name "USB-RS485-WE"

i also did that.

Now the meter was finally also regognized by the cerbo:

1660931392907.png

1660931406358.png

But.... it still does not work.

I don´t see it as a "device"

And... as soon as i enable the "external meter" in ESS, the multis go in permanent "passthru" mode:

1660931470629.png

So.... seams not to work?!

I am using Venus OS 2.90-22

Any ideas how to get it to work?

1 Like 1 ·
1660931392907.png (10.9 KiB)
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

sure, done.

hope there is a solution, as i already tested the EM540 for about two weeks with my own modbus house-system, and its really doing good and fast. Hope i can get it to work with Victron also.

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa pedaaa commented ·

The EM540 works now!!

I am not sure, what was the problem, as i tried everything from start again ->

* installed newest Venus OS 2.90-24

* made all cable connections/extensions new

* resetted the FTDI USB-RS485-WE Adapter to factory settings and name

* reconnected everything (without 120Ohm Resistor)

-> suddenly the Cerbo found the EM540 gridmeter :)

YES!!!

1660987077751.png

1660987125577.png

1660987140529.png

all good.

thanks

2 Likes 2 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala pedaaa commented ·
@Pedaaa can you post a picture of it? Does it have backlit display?
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa Juha Tuomala commented ·
yes it does. I will post photos later.

Works very well so far. I am happy with it

1 Like 1 ·
@Pedaaa ok, thanks do post. Or make a video :)
0 Likes 0 ·

Photo first.

and i will try to make a video during transient load changes. That will show how fast it reacts

20220829-193201.jpg

1 Like 1 ·
@Pedaaa thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
tomcat avatar image tomcat pedaaa commented ·

What does die Phase sequenz show for you.

My look like this:

phasesequenz.jpg

And it reports error on Wiring Check on the EM540 when ESS is Feeding to Grit.
I have a 3 working Phase ESS and I checked it many times. Its a bit confusing for me...The only possible way is that the electrican labeld some wires wrong...but why is the ESS working then?

0 Likes 0 ·
phasesequenz.jpg (38.5 KiB)
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa tomcat commented ·

i have exactly the same. But we doublechecked all connections and phase rotation -> everything is correct.

My Electrician assumed thats maybe because of Italien Wiring numbering?! As its an Italien Product.

Or... its an Error. Maybe it will be solved with Firmware-Update from Carlo Gavazzi??

But everthing works fine, so i dont care to much about it

0 Likes 0 ·
tomcat avatar image tomcat pedaaa commented ·
Allright than I can stop search for the reason :)
0 Likes 0 ·
Gilbert avatar image Gilbert tomcat commented ·

Glad to read that that I am not the only one with this problem. Although my pretty straight forward ESS (MP2, EM540, CERBO, LiFePo, DC Solar) works as expected, the EM-540 reports a wrong wiring and even suggest to swap input and output on 2 of 3 phases. Which is obviously nonsense . Cerbo reports "L1-L3-L2", which is not true as well. I doublechecked all connections and even purchased a phase rotation testing device -> I have found everything is correct. That lead me to the conclusion that the wiring check function in the firmware does not work properly. My EM540 reports firmware 4382, Cerbo is v2.92.

0 Likes 0 ·
christiangurk avatar image christiangurk Gilbert commented ·
Any news on the phase error problem? I just installed my EM540 (Firmware 4382) and it also shows this error and L1-L3-L2 in Venus OS. I also checked rotation orientation and everything is correct. Very strange...
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa christiangurk commented ·

has anyone asked Carlo Gavazzi so far?! i assume that the problem is on their side, as wiring is shown wrong even in their UCS7 software tool. So what else can Victron do, as also show it wrong through Cerbo...

For me personally, i don´t care too much anymore. Everything else runs good, so this wrong display doesn´t bother me too much

0 Likes 0 ·
mariner62 avatar image mariner62 pedaaa commented ·
@Gilbert @Pedaaa @tomcat @christian.gurk

I have the same phase sequence problem with the EM540 and Cerbo. When the EM540 was first installed, my Cerbo showed L1-L3-L2 and when I checked with the CG UCS software the same sequence was being detected. Also the EM-540 displayed a rotation error symbol on the display. I checked the wiring directly with a phase rotation meter and found that the rotation WAS in fact L1-L3-L2. Ok, everything agrees that its L1-L3-L2, but I want it to be L1-L2-L3 order.

So, I then had L2 and L3 swapped over* at the grid side of the EM540, and now the phase rotation meter shows L1-L2-L3, the CG UCS software shows L1-L2-L3 and the rotation error symbol is no longer present on the EM540 display. HOWEVER, the Cerbo still shows L1-L3-L2.

I'm not sure if the Cerbo originally detected L1-L3-L2 and is now stuck on that order pending some kind of reset, or given the other comments in this thread, it always just displays L1-L3-L2 regardless, and it is just coincidence that my wiring was originally L1-L3-L2.

If anyone uncovers any further information about this then do please post your findings.

(* Yes, I did have to swap L2 and L3 at some three-phase equipment to match the change at the grid meter!)

0 Likes 0 ·
kleini avatar image kleini mariner62 commented ·

I have the same issue with phase rotation. EM540 and Cerbo GX show L1-L3-L2. I am absolutely sure, my wires are L1-L2-L3. MultiPlus 2 do not show any phase rotation alarm. Electricians measure right rotation field. Soy only EM540 seems to detect and show it wrong. Previously I had an EM24 at that place and it showed also L1-L2-L3.

Firmware on EM540 is 4867. Are there possible solutions to this display problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
christiangurk avatar image christiangurk kleini commented ·
I also did some "research" on this problem during the weekend. When you have small loads with power factors away from 1 then in my case the rotation phase errors seem to vary over short periodes of time. I think this phase sequence test feature of the EM540 is not reliable at all. I switched of the error display and leave it running. But it would be nice, if it would be possible to change the phase rotation value in the Venus OS. I don's actually know, if this setting is evaluated for the calculation of the phase sums?
0 Likes 0 ·
wolferl avatar image wolferl pedaaa commented ·
Hi

I also use an EM540 and it works well, Phase rotation error is present here as well. EM540 Firmware 4867.

Btw, does anybody know where to get Gavazzi Firmware files?

thank you

Wolferl

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa wolferl commented ·

Victron seems to have a fix for that:

Venus OS v3.00~17:

• Fix issue with EM540 phase sequence check for three phase systems. It reported the phase sequence as being incorrect while it wasn't.
0 Likes 0 ·
Marco Nijholt avatar image
Marco Nijholt answered ·

Where did you buy the EM540? They seem nowhere available in the netherlands.

8 comments
2 |3000

21 weeks from factory..... sounds like everyone didn't get the EU memo about saving electricity.

0 Likes 0 ·

my brother ordered last week and got it 2 days later...

Seems like it was one of the last stock?!

1 Like 1 ·
You got lucky. Remember put the handle into message for notifications, this forum is broken. @Pedaaa @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)
0 Likes 0 ·
Marco Nijholt avatar image Marco Nijholt Juha Tuomala commented ·
That's absurd lol.. can't find them anywhere
1 Like 1 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa Marco Nijholt commented ·

if i google, i find some on stock here: (but dont have experience with this shop)

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/carlo-gavazzi-inc/EM540DINAV23XS1X/16343966

-1 Like -1 ·

Ordered two from there. I also got their specs corrected. What USB-RS485 interface you’re using? @pedaa

0 Likes 0 ·

i am using the Victron ASS030572018, (= FTDI USB-RS485-WE)

But i want to switch to the isolated Hjelmslund Electronics USB485-STIXL Adapter, which is sadly still not available.

If it keeps being not available, i will maybe add a random RS485 galvanic isolation adapter inbetween

0 Likes 0 ·
kleini avatar image
kleini answered ·

I tested a little bit with EM540. Venus OS v3.00~14 and Firmware 4867 on EM540. RS485 connection.

If I look into the meter menu, I see very quickly updated measuring values from the grid meter. They are updated multiple times a second, which is good.

Now, I expected the Cerbo GX to instruct the MP2 to quickly adapt to these grid meter values. If I switch on some electrical radiant heater consuming about 800W, it seems to take 20s until the configured Grid Setpoint of 50W is reached again. Same when switching the radiant heater off.

Do I miss some setting in the Cerbo, which instructs it to change inverter rates in MP2 more quickly? MK3 interface in Cerbo GX was updated together with v3.00~14. I have v500 firmware installed on MP2. I am using German grid code with internal NS protection. Is that related to German grid code?

2 |3000

tomcat avatar image
tomcat answered ·

You updated the MK3 Firmware -> https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/170590/venus-os-v3008-available-for-testing.html?childToView=177981#comment-177981 ?
Not shure if its updated automaticaly with firmwareupdate. Just a hint ;)

3 comments
2 |3000

kleini avatar image kleini commented ·

Restarting the whole system solved the slow inverter control speed. Here is a video of the very fast inverter control: https://youtu.be/RfkZ64XQK6s

1 Like 1 ·
sersurf avatar image sersurf kleini commented ·
Hello kleini,

Inspired by your video I have also build my ESS using EM540 meter with the hope to have a fast regulating loop.

The readings of the energy meter in Venus OS are changing very fast, but so far I can see only the standard or "slow" reaction of the whole system on the load change.

What could be the possible reason?

My system consist of 2x Multiplus II 48/5000 (Split Phase configuration), German grid code.

Firmware in both Multiplus is 2623506

Venus OS 3.01 on Rasp.Pi 4

MK3-USB

0 Likes 0 ·
kleini avatar image kleini commented ·

Yes, I did the upgrade of the MK3 firmware in Cerbo GX.mk3-version.png

0 Likes 0 ·
mk3-version.png (71.3 KiB)
jailbraik avatar image
jailbraik answered ·

Hallo, welche EM540 Version muss man für den MP2 und Venus OS bestellen?

Danke

1 comment
2 |3000

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented ·
passende EM540 Teilenummern stehen im ersten Post
0 Likes 0 ·
stefan333 avatar image
stefan333 answered ·

Hab gestern auch einen EM540 (Firmware 1.4.3) eingebaut, wie bei praktisch jedem erzählt er mir jetzt was von Verkabelungsfehler.

L1 bis L3 gehen vom VNB Zähler aus oben in den EM540 und unten weiter zur Solaranlage.

-Im Victron Gridmeter Menue wird L1 L2 L3 angezeigt, genau wie mit dem EM24 vorher auch

-Mit Duspol L1 und L2 gecheckt, Drehfeld rechts

-Drehmaschine in der Werkstatt dreht auch rechts wenn man die anwirft...*g

Wenn ich mit der UCS Software auf das Smartmeter schaue will er das ich bei L1 den Ein und den Ausgang vertausche.

em540wiring.png

Ich bin zwar kein Elektriker, aber da krieg ich die Logikkurve nicht wie man auf die Idee kommt. Auch der Elektriker der das Teil umgeschraubt hat, hat nur mit den Schultern gezuckt.

Auf L1 hängt der Growatt MIN 4600 und speist natürlich wie blöde ein bei dem Wetter, auf L2 hängt der Multiplus 2 GX

Schaut man sich die Virtuelle lösung des "Problems" will er das machen

em540wiringvirtuell.png

Ich hab davon gar nichts gemacht, mit dem EM24 vorher lief alles, und mit dem EM540 läuft das ESS genauso, nur natürlich viel schneller.

Hat jemand eine Idee was die da Treiben?

Mfg

Stefan

2 comments
2 |3000

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented ·

neueste Victron Firmware drauf, dann ist alles gut, siehe Link weiter oben:

Venus OS v3.00~17:

• Fix issue with EM540 phase sequence check for three phase systems. It reported the phase sequence as being incorrect while it wasn't.
0 Likes 0 ·
stefan333 avatar image stefan333 pedaaa commented ·
Beim Victron GX (Version 3.0 Produktion) ist alles gut, er zeigt ja die richtigte Reihenfolge L1 L2 L3 an. Hab ja auch nur ein single phase System.

Der EM540 dreht hier alleine am Rad...*g

0 Likes 0 ·
ulfilas avatar image
ulfilas answered ·

Here is a question for the Victron developers. Why is the EM540DINAV23XS1PFB not supported?
Yes it is clear when I use the EM540 as a gridmeter differ the energy values from the billing meter.
Now I use the PFB variant as a meter for AC loads and would like to have phases selectively summ. My CerboGX also recognizes the meters and I can also assign them as load meters, but I do not get any measured values. Instead the CerboGX tries to set the measurement mode to C.

I use the current FW: v3.10~22

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) Is there a way to adjust the driver to ignore the measurement mode?

1 comment
2 |3000

daniel-feist avatar image daniel-feist commented ·

PFB is the wrong measurement mode. You need C or X (which can be configured to C). This can't be changed from the Victron-end as the meter simply won't push the data required.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources