question

ben-real avatar image
ben-real asked

Lead Acid Battery with MPPT 75/15

Hello all,

I have on MPPT 75/15 a SMF C100 lead-acid battery with the following data:

Charge current Approx. 1/10 of the C20 nominal capacity (C20: 80Ah but I have 100Ah).
Charging voltage 14,7V - 14,8V
Float voltage Max. 13,8V

The parameters for charge voltage and float voltage are clear. I am unclear what settings I should enter for equalization voltage, maximum charge current and cell equalization. Does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks already!

battery charginglead-acid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bill-walter avatar image bill-walter commented ·
Everything I read on equalizing says to ask the battery manufacturer.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Only flooded wet cell batteries should be equalized!!

Unless your battery manufacturer recommends otherwise.

Post a link to your battery.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ben-real commented ·

Data sheet says it's 80Ah at C20, 100Ah at C100. I suspect the seller quoted the C100 figure(makes it sound as if youre getting more battery for your money), but you should check as the model number in the data sheet is different to the one you quoted.

So 80*1/10 is 8A.

As said, already, turn equalisation OFF. The voltage there will be ignored.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben-real avatar image ben-real kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you @kevgermany!
0 Likes 0 ·
ben-real avatar image
ben-real answered ·

@klim8skeptic & @kevgermany it´s an Calcium EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) so I assume that equalization makes sense?!

4 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Your link shows a fully sealed battery, and google translate gives the separator as "glass fleece"

Enough to advise that "equalization" is not recommended.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben-real avatar image ben-real klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
thx!
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I can find nothing saying it's needed. As these are AGM with added calcium and not flooded, it's unlikely and may cause damage. Note the data sheet says Absolut wartungsfrei. (absolutely no maintenance in English), equalisation is a form of maintenance.

If unsure, check with the supplier, but in normal car use there would be no equalisation.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben-real avatar image ben-real kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Thanx @kevgermany . So this is a graphic from the manufacturer. It says "maintenenance free" but also Calcium-EFB which I understand as flooded or wet technologie. But I´ll check with the supplier and until then go with your advice of no equalization.versorgungsbatterien-solar-batterien-langzeit-sola.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic