question

squowse avatar image
squowse asked

Display of Inverter power on VRM/Remote Console does not match Victron Connect App

Display of the inverter power (Phoenix Smart Inverter 12/2000) on VRM is in watts and seems imprecise and consistently under-reads by about 20W. Seems to display rounding down to nearest 21W or something. Presumably it's calculated inside the GX (Raspberry Pi 3B running VenusOS 2.73) from the volts and amps somehow?

The inverter interface on the Victron Connect app is much more precise and is in VA. Measures to 1 or 2 VA.

Is this expected behaviour? Would be nice to have a precise log of small inverter loads. I want to cut consumption right down in winter and this will help be prepare by identifying devices to switch off.

Update - in Remote Console the VA display is same as in the Victron Connect app

1653486067650.png

VRMPhoenix Inverter
1653486067650.png (43.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @squowse

I don't think there's anywhere that reports AC amps better than to 1 decimal point. So you get the stepping. I guess to do better would be overstating the inherent 'inaccuracy'. These devices aren't certified powermeters.

Your model with the VA may look better, but you don't know the true power. This from my own 5kVA Multiplus with household loads.. 1653489965221.pngFrom the battery shunt the inverter uses 30-40W, so VA at this level would work out close, but not always.

I just accept it as 'best effort'.

1653489965221.png (9.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

squowse avatar image squowse commented ·
The VE connect app VA, and the remote console VA is definitely more precise, and also more accurate. The VRM display is on zero unless there's 25W plus being drawn.
0 Likes 0 ·