question

fijter avatar image
fijter asked

Ve.bus smart dongle connected to Multiplus restarts the MultiPlus every 30 seconds

I wanted to upgrade my campervan system consisting of a MultiPlus 12/500/20-16 with switch connected to toggle between charging only and invertor, SmartShunt, Battery protector, Buck Boost 400 and Lithium SuperPack 12.8V 100ah in order to allow limiting the input current for shore power so I bought a Ve.bus smart dongle and connected it (just the UTP cable and power cables directly to the Lithium battery with ground through the shunt first). It showed up in the app, found the MultiPlus, showed the data but after about 30 seconds it went to initializing again repeating the process. It also did not allow me to update the settings for the MultiPlus. With this 'reset' I could hear a relay click and see the red and green led briefly blink on the MultiPlus. The moment I disconnect the UTP cable the MultiPlus behaves again. I replaced the UTP cable with another high quality patch cable but this behaves exactly the same.

I'm not sure what else I could try to get this to work, are there any known remedies?

App when it happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Keoj3vrxA
MultiPlus when it happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru5aYPJpAqM

multiplus ve.busVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @fijter

Please do not use youtube 'shorts' as you cannot scroll through them or see where you are in the video.

Do you have pictures of the connections?

What firmware are you on in the inverter?

are the settings correct? (current limit 'overruled by remote' checked?)

is there an LED code on the dongle?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fijter avatar image fijter commented ·
Thank you for getting back to me! I updated the YouTube links to normal player links and will make some pictures today and provide the additional requested information.
0 Likes 0 ·
fijter avatar image fijter commented ·

Attached the pictures of the connection (cat6 patch cable going from inverter ve.bus connection to the smart Dongle, positive connected to buck boost 400 out (which is directly connected to lithium possitive) and negative connected to shared ground which is connected to the battery negative through the shunt.

Firmware for inverter is v481 as shown in info dialog

Settings I'm unaware off,the setup was delivered pre-installed and programmed, functioning correctly. Attached a screenshot of what the app shows.

The dongle itself only shows the blue led shining once connected and blinking if not connected to the app.
img-1337.pngimg-1338.pngimg-1341.pngimg-1340.jpgimg-1339.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1337.png (125.9 KiB)
img-1338.png (131.4 KiB)
img-1341.png (112.9 KiB)
img-1340.jpg (339.0 KiB)
img-1339.jpg (335.4 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @fijter

My apologies, I missed that with these Multi's you have to set DIP switch 1 to the correct position:

image-11.png

image-11.png (32.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic