question

clh avatar image
clh asked

fusing parallel connected superpacks

Hi Guys,

I have 4 Superpacks 12.8v/200Ah connected in parallel and would require some expert advise on how to properly fuse them for maximum safety and efficiency.

According to the specs each of my Superpack could provide a constant discharge of 70 amps and up to 100 amps for 10 seconds before their internal BMS disconnects them.

Right now I have each of them fused with a 50 amp MEGA fuse before going to a “battery only busbar”. All my MPPTs and Inverters are on another busbar and the connection between these busbars is fused with another 180 amp MEGA fuse. This is kind of unsatisfying because my 4 batteries could provide 280 amps in total.

I was initially considering 70 amp MEGA fuses per battery but they are apparently to slow to trigger before the BMS shuts off. According to the specs I have found a 70 amp MEGA fuse would require more than 10 seconds to trigger, even at a 100 amp load, which makes them kind of pointless. I would also like to avoid a chain reaction like situation where each of the fuses trigger after the first battery disconnects….

The dealer where I got the batteries from recommended to only fuse the busbar itself but this feels to me like an absolute no-go safety-wise.

My only idea would be to switch from MEGA to ANL fuses (which are faster reacting) but from what I have seen these ANL fuses get pretty hot and waste a lot of energy them self.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/discussions….

Thanks and cheers,

Chris

fusesSuperPack
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Fuses & fuse holders Product Page.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic