question

igvan avatar image
igvan asked

Battery connection to Lynx Distributor

For organizational purposes, I'm thinking of running my positive and negative battery cables to opposite ends of my Lynx Distributor. I can run them to the same side if necessary, but the way things are set up and given where the battery terminals are in relation to the Lynx, it would be easiest, most organized, and shortest cable runs to have the positive attached to one end, and the negative to the other.

I'm thinking this should be totally fine, they are essentially two separate busbars after all. Does anyone see an issue with this setup? Positive will obviously be fused at the battery and have a switch before the distributor, negative will have smartshunt.

Thanks much

Lithium BatterySmartShuntbusbar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
igvan avatar image
igvan answered ·

Does anyone have any input on this? It seems very basic, it shouldn't matter where the negative and positive battery cables land on the Lynx Distributor, given they are just separate neg and pos busbars, but I haven't seen anyone wire their system like this, so I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something and making a mistake.

Again, it just makes sense for me to wire this way given where the battery terminals are in relation to the Lynx Distributor. Two battery system wired in parallel, with main leads coming off opposite sides of the bank. The distributor sits above the batteries, and wiring on the same side would result in cables crossing over each other and one being longer than necessary. If I wire to opposite sides of the distributor, I can keep both cable on their respective ends and keep cables as short as possible.

Thanks for any and all input.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

igvan avatar image
igvan answered ·

Is the answer to this just so plain and simple that its not worth answering? I promise I have searched and have not found anything else discussing this. But it does seem plainly simple. Just want to be sure since I have really never seen anyone bring their + and - battery cables into opposite sides of their Lynx Distributor.

Please just reassure my thinking, or tell me why it's stupid. Thank you

2 |3000

jerothle avatar image
jerothle answered ·

It doesn't seem like it would matter.

1 comment
2 |3000

igvan avatar image igvan commented ·
Appreciate the response, @jerothle

I can’t imagine it would matter, either. Just wanting to tap into the knowledge on this forum much greater than my own to confirm I’m not foolishly overlooking something.

Thanks very much for your input.

0 Likes 0 ·
igvan avatar image
igvan answered ·

Anyone else have input on this? Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@IgVan

Your proposal would be better for current sharing. But as mentioned not really a problem which way you go there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Glen Carter avatar image
Glen Carter answered ·

One of the things I'm trying to determine is... the Lynx busbar for 1,000A, its size is substantially large for the size of the system I am using, MultiPlus II 12/3000/120, so generally less than 300A. I cannot imagine the the Lynx Power-In/Distributor could have any current flow affect with regards to which end of the Lynx the system is connected to or affect the length of battery cables connected.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@IgVan you mention a Lynx Distributer but also mention a Lynx Power-in. Do you have a Lynx Power-in, a lynx 500 BMS and a Lynx Distributer or do you simply have a Lynx Distributer. If you only have a Distributer you can put your negative cable on any of the four connectors. If you have the BMS connected however, you can only put the battery negative on the left hand side of the BMS because the BMS has a shunt and supply and load connections must be correctly positioned with respect to the shunt.

I hope this helps.

2 |3000

Related Resources